Publications Listing Free Campsites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaNomads

We have been looking on Amazon for books that list free campsites. What we are finding is books with listings in diferent states seperately or each national forest seperately. Does anyone know of anything that lists free campsites in all the states?

Hi Iowa,

Using the free search option on the forum  ;D I found over 1000 posts in regards to free camping. I know in the past that members have posted sites both free of cost and some that you pay for (All Stays?) in order to find free camping sites. I didn't want to hunt though all of the messages so will post a link for you to go to. Good luck and have fun camping!

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=search2

Do and internet search for "freecampgrounds" or "free campgrounds".  There are several websites out there.  Some free some charge.

There is an Android app:  Free RV Campgrounds &  Parking. I haven't found it very useful because it is mostly Walmart and truck stops and we don't use either. To be fair, the app does list other places, not very many.

I have used those websites. We are looking for something in print so we can plan things if we don't have internet access. I also ordered a software program that will hopefully have some of them. I got it more though to find points of interest.

Here is one possibility.

I believe this is an updated edition of one we used ... looking in my "library" just now, don't see it, so probably need to get this myself.  The one we used before had state maps so you could orient where you were looking.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Americas-Guide-Low-Cost-Campgrounds/dp/0937877557/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0937877557&pd_rd_r=RW29BKZEE2BFTCPWSCJY&pd_rd_w=qqB1L&pd_rd_wg=0KdOO&psc=1&refRID=RW29BKZEE2BFTCPWSCJY

Another good resource for Corp of Engineer parks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Corps-Engineers-Complete-Campgrounds/dp/0937877581/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0937877581&pd_rd_r=4Z3X70Y8BJ1GVMCDJCRS&pd_rd_w=VjLhp&pd_rd_wg=JGvuJ&psc=1&refRID=4Z3X70Y8BJ1GVMCDJCRS

Howard

Google the phrase Book Free Campgrounds and several books will come up.

ArdraF

The best source I know of for National Forest campgrounds is:  http://www.forestcamping.com/  At the website you can purchase and download the individual NF books.  The website and books give excellent detailed directions, very good info on how large the CG parking pads are, and other pertinent info about the CG's.

IowaNomads said:
I have used those websites. We are looking for something in print so we can plan things if we don't have internet access. I also ordered a software program that will hopefully have some of them. I got it more though to find points of interest.
Anything in print for boondocking sites get outdated pretty quickly.  Keep in mind there may be months or years between the printed book coming out and your using the book.

You mention lack of internet access.  I assume you are not using a smart phone hotspot or jetpack for internet access.  If this is correct and you are planning on doing a lot of traveling and boondocking I highly recommend getting a jetpack or hotspot.  Yes the cost of the data is not cheap, but will save a lot of headaches in the end. 

Some reasons you want internet access whenever you have a cell signal when dry camping or boondocking:
--  the ability to check the weather so you are not trapped by a sudden storm
--  While the books may give you info and directions, it really helps to use Google Earth or the satellite view on a smart phone to view where you are planning to go to.  I have been surprised at the number of times I have been able to actually get a 360 degree view at the ground level of where I am planning on going.  Other times just viewing the road or boondocking spot from the satellite view tell me if I can or want to take my rig in there.
--  There are a number of online sources that I use when researching a place to stay.  City or county websites, National Forest websites, just doing a web search for the location I am thinking of going to. 
--  Even when we are staying at a boondocking site, I research the next place we are going to. 

Even though we boondock in some very remote areas we usually have a cell phone signal to get to internet.

The Days End directory lists free and low cost campsites by state and province.  There is a on line version and the directory can be downloaded in various formats.  There is a subscription fee, which I think is $10 a year.  You must be a member of Escapees to subscribe.

The website is daysenddirectory,com.  All entries are campsites reported by subscribers. 

Earlier, I didn't mention Days End as you need to be an Escapees member to access the listings. 

However, it is my primary and usually only listing I use when I look for low cost camping/parking spots.

I appreciate all the feedback. We do plan to join Escapees when we get our RV. Also Good Sam's, and Passport America. We also have been talking about getting a hotspot for those very reasons. Now if we can just decide on what we want for an RV lol.

IowaNomads said:
I appreciate all the feedback. We do plan to join Escapees when we get our RV. Also Good Sam's, and Passport America. We also have been talking about getting a hotspot for those very reasons. Now if we can just decide on what we want for an RV lol.
About deciding what you want for an RV is not an easy decision.  We went from a travel trailer, 5th wheel, 40' Diesel Pusher when we started full timing.  All purchased used.  Now with a stick house and an RV we now travel from 6-10 months a year in a 29' Class A

Have you thought about renting a RV for a several day stay?  It is a good way to experience each type of RV.

Just a couple of days ago I ran across a RV Share rental site where private owners rent their RV through the system.  While it is easy to rent a travel trailer or motorhomes, renting a 5th will is not readily available.  RV Share is the first place I have seen to rent a 5th wheel.  Some owners, for a extra fee, take the trailer to a location and set it up for you.  I would assume they would let you come watch them hook it up and set it up.  Link to RV Share:  https://rvshare.com/

Back
Top Bottom