Under floor Barrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowhunter 2017

Hi All - New here--

In the process of replacing water damaged floor.. The existing 3/4" chip board sits directly on the insulation with the barrier (plastic type tarp material ) under the insulation on top of the frame.

My question is would you replace it in the same manner or look to using maybe rolled aluminum in place of the plastic.?

Thanks for your help!!

I would replace it as close to the original as manufactured. No offense but the aluminum patch type work you described sounds like a certain type of "engineering" you would be doing. I wouldn't do that. Id run by a local RV place and ask if they have any laying around that they could give you. Or ask to buy some. At a last resort you could use Tyvek which is sold at Home depot or Lowes.Spray paint it black to match and away you go. To avoid buying a large piece I would stop by a house in your area being sided or even a construction company that does siding and I'm sure they could give you a piece. Trying to do it right, brings less questions down the road when selling it.

I would NOT put chip board back down.  The manufacturer uses it because it is cheap!  Use ? plywood.  Much better material for flooring!

I have to disagree a bit with Jayco.  I would try to do a good job with quality materials, which may well mean NOT what the manufacturer did originally.

Since you are making a substantial effort, I would use exterior grade plywood for the subfloor rather than chip or OSB board, and a good grade of vapor barrier material. The stuff sold for use as floor underlayment in houses and mobile homes comes in all price ranges, but you don't need a lot of square feet so can afford to use the better grade stuff. The cheap stuff is usually about 6 mils in thickness, while the better grades are often 12+ and rip/tear resistant as well. 

Back
Top Bottom