Wiper Blade sweep patterns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
Please help settle an argument!
My RV has a pantographic wiper sweep.
It appears most of the newer models have a radial sweep. (Like an automobile)
I think a pantographic sweep covers more surface area of a typical motorhome windshield.
Radial sweeps appear to leave a large, untouched area in the upper passenger side of the windshield.
My friend insists radial sweeps are more effective, which is why you see them on newer models.
I maintain radial wipers are less effective, but since they are more common thus less expensive, manufactures are using them as a cost cutting measure. (which is why you see them on newer models.)
Whoever is right buys the beer.....

I agree that the bus style (which we also have) covers more area but my navigator objects to the wipers always being "in the way". Based on this I'm thinking it's not so much cost rather than the bus style appearing to be old fashioned.

And it absolutely is a hot topic  ;)

Thank you Scott!
As an old fashioned kinda guy, I appreciate your perspective.
And I just won a hefeweizen and a shnitzegruben.
You're the best!

Hi BinaryBob,

I'll take a swipe at this.  ::)  I know my pantographic wiper sweep removes an effective large amount of rain from the windshield. I'd vote for this type based on what I have seen and know. Looking at RV's to buy I noticed some had the radial sweeps (newer models) that looked like less coverage. Best!

I thought this thread was going to be about interesting smear patterns that look like things..... such as "oh, that smear looks like a poddle!"

In my DW's new to her Buick a few days ago, we were driving in a rain and the wipers were doing a severe slip-stick chatter that was driving me nuts....very loud, and made for some interesting artistic patterns on the glass.

Sorry, have no input....
except my vote is a ships spin window wiper
      (not really, but that would be a conversation starter to have one of those installed in you coach, eh?)

Great idea.
I think they made a mistake on this motor home. It would have been perfect for a spinner!

Attachments

• untitled9.png
    untitled9.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 30
Area covered??  My criteria is just so they work!  Mine died coming home from Kentucky to northern Indiana in a driving rain.  A Ram dealer in Columbus, Indiana could get the part in about 10 days and then work on it after that.  I figured by then, the rain would stop.  :eek:

winona said:
A Ram dealer in Columbus, Indiana could get the part in about 10 days and then work on it after that.  I figured by then, the rain would stop.  :eek:

If it didn't stop raining for 10 days, wipers would be the least of your problems. ;D

Back
Top Bottom