Onan Generator advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtserick

I  have a 2005 Hurricane with an Onan 5500 Marquis Gold Gasoline Generator. This is a model that has the secondary fuel filter right next to the carburetor.  It's been in storage about a year and the generator will crank but won't start. Acts like it is not getting fuel. The gas tank on the rig is full. I pulled the fuel line off the filter and plenty of gas seems to come out of the hose when I hit the start button. When I take off the air filter and spray quick start fluid into the carb, it starts right up and runs for 2 or 3 seconds. I am assuming the problem is likely this secondary fuel filter.  It is a cheap replacement so I'm going to try that next.

Unfortunately my RV repair place has their generator guy  on vacation for 3 weeks.  If I replace the filter and that does not solve the problem does anybody have any suggestions I could try?

The carb can get clogged old gas residue can clog the jets among other things. Can you bypass the fuel filter? It's about 200.00 for a new carb and I have tried cleaning a few of the carbs but recommend replacement.

Carb bowl is gummed up. Needle valve frozen in up position

SkateBoard said:
Carb bowl is gummed up. Needle valve frozen in up position
Yep, probably had some moisture in the fuel shut off valve and has some rust keeping it closed. The carb will have to be taken apart and cleaned. Any mower repair shop can do this for you, if you don't feel you can do it yourself. Or you can take it to a cummins dealer and spend $400.00 and replace the carb.

Also check the little electric fuel pump to make sure it is spinning. If it starts for a bit with a prime you may not be pumping fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom