Extending the Mobley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The AT&T Mobley device is limited to 5 users, and we recently ran into the limit with 3 grandkids overnighting, each of whom needed two internet connections. Per Jeff C's recommendation, I ordered and received the TP-link WR802N extender, router, access point, and more. Neat little device, and easy to set up, with lots of options. I'm sure it will get some use with everyone (kids, grandkids, and grandparents) at the campground next week.

[quote author=BinaryBob]Time to get out the board games....[/quote]

LOL we all play Rummikube.

[quote author=Heli_av8tor]How much (if any) does the TP-Link slow things down?[/quote]

Haven't run a speed test since hooking it up.

[quote author=Heli_av8tor]Can I use the mobley for more than 5 devices, just not at the same time?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote author=demag88]How do I stop the mobly from shutting down every  30 min.[/quote]

Access the Mobley's settings via a browser at the address: 192.168.1.1 and use the password attadmin

Go to Settings|Advanced|Power Save and choose No time out, then click Apply.

demag88 said:
Hi ,How do I stop the mobly from shutting down every  30 min. thank you paul

The user may define a time period for the mobile hotspot to stay
on when the vehicle is turned off or idle. Starting the vehicle will
always power on the hotspot. The mobile hotspot will power off
automatically if the voltage of the OBD II connector drops to 9V.
On the AT&T Wi-Fi Manager home page, log in as Administrator.
Click Settings on the navigation menu on the left side.
Click Advanced Power Save.
Select the time period from the drop-down menu.
Select never No Time Out. 
If connected to the OBD2 port you can run down the vehicle battery.

Opps Tom beat me to the answer.

If you're accessing the Mobley setup with a phone or tablet, after you log in the Admin page will default to the Mobile version with limited options.

Delete the /m from the middle of the URL to get the full menu including the timeout settings and signal strength (under About).  The address for the full menu after you log in is 192.168.1.1/index.html#home (no /m)

yolo said:
If connected to the OBD2 port you can run down the vehicle battery.

Sorry yolo but the manual says otherwise;
The OBD II voltage threshold for entering Power Save mode is between 11.3V and 11.7V. There can be a ?0.2V tolerance when measuring OBD II voltage.

This is to prevent car battery rundown!

More tips and tricks here: Mobley tips and tricks

DutchEagle said:
Sorry yolo but the manual says otherwise;
The OBD II voltage threshold for entering Power Save mode is between 11.3V and 11.7V. There can be a ?0.2V tolerance when measuring OBD II voltage.

This is to prevent car battery rundown!

More tips and tricks here: Mobley tips and tricks
Well I should have edited what I copied from the ZTE Mobley PDF Manual.  ;)  Must be a few manuals running around out there on the internet.

Edit: Dutch, I just looked at your PDF manual on your website and it's the same as the one I read.  On page 32 it does say 9 volts to shut down.  Seems pretty low.  I'm sure that most vehicles wouldn't start with only 9 volts left in the battery.

Lou Schneider said:
If you're accessing the Mobley setup with a phone or tablet, after you log in the Admin page will default to the Mobile version with limited options.

Delete the /m from the middle of the URL to get the full menu including the timeout settings and signal strength (under About).  The address for the full menu after you log in is 192.168.1.1/index.html#home (no /m)

Great tip Lou :):))  (Added to my Mobley tips sheet)

yolo said:
Well I should have edited what I copied from the ZTE Mobley PDF Manual.  ;)  Must be a few manuals running around out there on the internet.

Edit: Dutch, I just looked at your PDF manual on your website and it's the same as the one I read.  On page 32 it does say 9 volts to shut down.  Seems pretty low.  I'm sure that most vehicles wouldn't start with only 9 volts left in the battery.

The manual is not really clear. I now see the 9 volt shut down you mentioned, way to low for a battery. On page 38, where I found my information, it said it would go into power saving mode. Seems to me that the best thing to do, if you want to be sure your car will start again, is setting power down time of 2 hours instead of no shut down.

But the power saving mode uses only 2.5 mA so it will take a loooong time from 11.3 Volts to 9 Volts.

Has anyone had issues setting up an online account? I get an error code each time I try to register a user ID, not sure if this is specific to the Mobley. The online AT&T chat help hasn't been any help either.

Dvan said:
Has anyone had issues setting up an online account? I get an error code each time I try to register a user ID, not sure if this is specific to the Mobley. The online AT&T chat help hasn't been any help either.

When you are a new user it takes a day or two before you can register for an account. I had the same issues that it did not recognize my AT&T Mobley phone number.

I am a new user and just ordered a ZTE Mobley which is on the way. After much frustration online with AT&T, I finally got on the unlimited plan for $20/month which is to expire on Monday, July 17,2017. I came home from the store with my SIM card for the mobley. I also ordered an adapter to allow me to use it in my RV.  Hopefully, all will work in the end. Am interested in hearing about speeds,etc from users who have this device.

Speeds vary from location to location. I got my Mobley on the way to Alaska to supplement my unlimited Verizon.
7 out of 9 locations so far AT&T speeds have beaten Verizon - usually by more than twice. Highest download speed tested was 49MB in a park 9 miles north of Denali National Park (verizon was around 20MB here). When Verizon has been faster it wasn't by much. Several locations along the inside passage (Wrangell & Petersburg) were 3g, but AT&T was still much faster. I haven't seen a 4g speed less than 10MB on AT&T while Verizon is often 3 to 5 MB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom