How to Dolly Tow 2008 Element SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rigosmom

I usually dolly tow a 2015 Chevy Spark - It's easy. Attach dolly to RV, Drive the Spark up on the dolly, put it in park, secure steering wheel and tire straps. Go.
I am going to Yosemite and my boyfriend needs a scooter, so the Spark will not do this trip. There has to be somebody out there that is dolly towing an Element.  Do I need to do anything more than I do with the Spark? Disconnect Battery? Park or Neutral? I keep hearing about a certain gear shifting procedure that must be done prior to departing??
I am going to Yosemite on the 26th, so if somebody could clue me in before then it would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Lucy

No mine is  Front Wheel Drive. Do you have an element???  I have found the CRV emergency towing procedure, which through internet gleaning, is also to be used with the element?

Check your owner's manual under TOWING.  Since it is FWD, the rear tires / axle do little but keep the rear bumper off the road.  Do what you do for the Spark!

If the drive wheels are on the road, then it is often necessary to do things to allow the vehicle to "free wheel" and make sure the transmission is getting lubricated.  Since your drive wheels are on the dolly, you should be good to go.

I did check the owners manual :-[  It says it can only be towed on a trailer, but this can't be true 'cuz I see and hear other people flat tow their Elements.  I'm being a scaredy cat about it because that Element has to last.  It may even serve as my casket when I die.  ;D  I may just have to figure out how to put 2 adults, 1 German Shepherd, 2 little "rat" dogs and a scooter in a Chevy Spark.

I don't have an element but have used a tow dolly, it was just as you said.
You might want to see if u haul will rent a dolly they have a good towing calculator for that.
I could see the front end clearance might not allow it to get onto the tow dolly. 

According to Remco Industries, FWD automatic and manual tranny  "must be towed on a tow dolly."  They DID NOT say trailer or can not be towed.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to all who replied.  I did figure out how to get everything/everyone in the Spark, so will take that one, but if there is anyone who is currently dolly towing a 2008 element, I would love to hear how it went! 8)

If you haven't you may want to watch this video in Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqGBl9NtnsM

Back
Top Bottom