No lug nut key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
N

Nwyantbarr

So we are newbies.... out on the road.  Blew one of our back tires... called good sam road repair  they sent a guy with a new tire .... we do not have the lug nut key.... never have seen it.... now the tire guy has gone somewhere to find us one... major fiasco Has this ever happened to any of you???  Going on 3 hours now waiting......

This happened to me! Most dealers for your brand may have a universal key. start calling around it would probably be faster than the tire guy. Or call the original dealership you got it from.

I had to order a replacement key for mine, but the original packaging and the original lug nuts (the first owner put special ones on) were in the truck. They overnighted it to me for 7 dollars.

Heard of guys "back in the day" would hit it with a small sledge hammer and it would crack and fall off. OR they would use big pliers to grab it and turn it.

Thank you for the helpful info... thankfully we got off the toad safely..  Yes, we are new and learning from our mistakes...  Good Sam roadside assistance charged us $350.  and did not solve the problem, the guy who came was youngand had never had this problem before... he did bring us a tire..,  we ended up going to a local dhop they are replacing all of the lug nuts in the morning and mounting the tire because there is no key to be found anywhere.  Our dealership back home was no help...  in the meantime we are spending the night in an Rv Park close by!

Nwyantbarr said:
... Good Sam roadside assistance charged us $350.  and did not solve the problem, ....

If he didn't fix anything how did he justify charging $350.  I thought that the service call for an RV was free for your roadside subscription and that additional charges are for really fixing things or providing supplies.  I think a call to Good Sam is warranted.  If this is the case I need to think about cancelling my Good sam Roadside Assistance.

Joel

ditto; I too think good sam has gone somewhat crazy with their prices and service, bought dish receiver went to return it 2 days latter was told I couldn't return because box had been opened, he said that was true on all electronic items. that mad me angry so I called their headquarters and had a discussion and told them it said that on bottom of receipt that I had 30 days, she agreed and I returned it and got my refund.  They seem to have a double standard.  just my opp.  dabrown

You could have called ANY car garage. They could have brought out a cordless impact driver and they ALL have a socket that clamps onto those keyed lug nuts and breaks them off.

And by the way, thieves have those also.

Perhaps someone can chime in with a roadside protection plan that has worked better than Good Sam for them.

I am sure people here have had more experience than I have but I use AAA RV and they were great. I had a flat at a campground and they came out and replaced it. I think I may have read some not as great experiences on here but they worked for me. I have had them for years on my cars and they were also great.

Back on the road today  Alberts Mechanic Shop Urbana, Iowa came to our rescue.  They found us an RV Park closeby and got the lugnuts off and mounted the tire this morning!  They charged 135.00 for mounting the tire the roadside assistance brought yesterday and replaced all of our lug nuts.  As of this morning Good Sam has removed the charges on our account but we do owe for that tire....  will let you know what happens here!  We are headed for Spirit Lake!

The problem is the way all of these plans work is they call around to all the area towing / road side service companies and say we have a customer at X location needing a tire to be changed will you do it for X dollars.  If the service company says no, they move to the next phone number on the list for the area, if none of the companies say yes, they bump the offer up a little and start making the rounds of phone calls again.  They also have a preferred rating system that encourages the service companies to always say yes, otherwise they get bumped down on the call order next time around.  I know a guy that owns a tow truck business, and over the years have sat around his office visiting while he fielded these sorts of calls.  Often the offer price will be extremely low, like $25 to jump start someones car that is located 10 miles away, a price so low it would not cover fuel and operating expense to get a tow truck to the location.  Other times things line up to be that same $25 for someone that is just around the corner, or perhaps it is still that 10 miles away, but he might have a driver returning from a tow job passing right by.

Back
Top Bottom