Leveler Maintenance -Which ATF Fluid to Use and When to Change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelP

I bought my 2010 RV privately last year and have no idea what maintenance was done on the levelers by the prior owner.  My fluid level is currently down a little bit and is in need of a top up. I read on an earlier post on this site that this needs to be changed every 3 years.  This seems to me to be excessive since it is automatic transmission fluid which lasts for far longer in our cars. While and RV is not a car, I have seen, for example, where auto makers have recommended changing ATF at intervals of 30,000 mi to never.  Levelers seems to have far less use that automatic transmissions.

In the manual that came from Winnebago it says that this is filled with ATF and Dexron II or Mercon.  When I look for Dexron II it seems that vendors like Amazon now sell Dexron III or other versions.  Is this a suitable replacement for Dexron II , e.g. AC Delco 10-9240 Dexron III?

https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9240-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B01EGOR40Y/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1499384523&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=Dexron+II+ATF&psc=1

Any other brands more suitable?

I have read other posts that say that one should use HTH instead since it is colorless and if the hydraulic system leaks someday it would not stain the interior.  I am at a loss for how hydraulic fluid form the levelers could get inside, so I wonder if there is any merit to this advice.  It would seem that it would require completely draining the system to allow for this to avoid mixing fluids.  Isn't that correct?

Thanks in advance those of you with more experience with these levelers used by Winnebago.

Joel

cbeierl said:
According to the Parts Catalog for your coach, it looks like your coach has Power Gear levelers, not HWH.

Ah yes, you are in fact right.  So which ATF is best for these if Dextron II isn't being sold these days?

JoelP said:
Ah yes, you are in fact right.  So which ATF is best for these if Dextron II isn't being sold these days?

Dexron III replaced Dexron II. All brands should meet the same Dexron III specifications as the others.

Dexron II, III, etc are GM specs for an ATF product and every brand claiming to be "Dexron xx" is supposed to be equivalent to that spec. When GM upgrades their ATF spec, they increase the number, so Dexron III is supposedly superior to but still compatible with Dexron II. The GM ATF spec is actually up to Dexron VI now, but Dexron III was in such wide use that most brands still make it available.

JoelP said:
Thanks for confirming that.  I will top up with Dexron III.
That's fine if you don't mind the possible stains from the red dye. I always use the HWH fluid, even on Power Gear (same stuff), as it's clear.

JoelP said:
I bought my 2010 RV privately last year and have no idea what maintenance was done on the levelers by the prior owner.  My fluid level is currently down a little bit and is in need of a top up. I read on an earlier post on this site that this needs to be changed every 3 years.  This seems to me to be excessive since it is automatic transmission fluid which lasts for far longer in our cars. While and RV is not a car, I have seen, for example, where auto makers have recommended changing ATF at intervals of 30,000 mi to never.  Levelers seems to have far less use that automatic transmissions.
In the manual that came from Winnebago it says that this is filled with ATF and Dexron II or Mercon.  When I look for Dexron II it seems that vendors like Amazon now sell Dexron III or other versions.  Is this a suitable replacement for Dexron II , e.g. AC Delco 10-9240 Dexron III?
https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9240-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B01EGOR40Y/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1499384523&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=Dexron+II+ATF&psc=1
Any other brands more suitable?
I have read other posts that say that one should use HTH instead since it is colorless and if the hydraulic system leaks someday it would not stain the interior.  I am at a loss for how hydraulic fluid form the levelers could get inside, so I wonder if there is any merit to this advice.  It would seem that it would require completely draining the system to allow for this to avoid mixing fluids.  Isn't that correct?
Thanks in advance those of you with more experience with these levelers used by Winnebago.
Joel

JoelP
I top off the original Dexron II ATF in my RVA jack reservoir with Dexron III ATF.
BTW the ATF in my now 21 year old RVA leveling jack system, (on my now 149k mile Safari coach), has never been changed.
(IMO you are worrying needlessly).

Larry N. said:
That's fine if you don't mind the possible stains from the red dye. I always use the HWH fluid, even on Power Gear (same stuff), as it's clear.

The levelers and the associated hydraulic lines are all under the coach.  If I am not worried about stains on the pavement I guess there is no chance for stains inside the coach.  Of course the hydraulics in the bedroom slide out might be a different matter.  Am I missing something here?

As for changing it, I have now officially decided to not change it and to stop worrying. 

Joel

Don't forget to add a few shots of Lube via the Lube nipple usually at the bottom of each leveler.

thomasamski said:
Don't forget to add a few shots of Lube via the Lube nipple usually at the bottom of each leveler.

Thanks!  So are we talking about a zirc fitting with a grease gun?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom