Can I get tips for first time storing my RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good day....

I will be taking my new RV (Class C) to a storage facility for the first time.

What do you do when leaving it at a facility for weeks at a time?

Thanks for any tips

It may depend on where it is being stored, inside or out.
Dump the holding tanks.
With outside storage you may want to use wheel covers to protect tires from UV.
Remove anything that might be food for critters of various sizes.
turn off (or disconnect if you don't have an isolation switch) any power.  A trickle charger may be appropriate for long term storage.
You may want to shut off the propane at the tank. 
Winter storage may require winterization

Can you give us more information, is it indoor or outdoor, covered or not, is there electricity available, is there ANY chance you will not be back before freezing weather gets there, ...

Storage is outdoors in a secured lot. No electricity. Uncovered. Weather consist of lots of rain and 85+ heat ........ My RV is a 2017 class C Thor Chateau 31E

RV antifreeze in all the drain p traps. (amazing for fast water evaporates in high heat)
Remember to hit the house battery disconnect.
I disconnect the chassis battery if stored longer than a month. A knife switch is handy.

BinaryBob said:
RV antifreeze in all the drain p traps. (amazing for fast water evaporates in high heat)

A teaspoon of vegetable oil in each trap also stops evaporation.
Here's a link to the test I did using vegetable oil.:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,88969.msg801468.html#msg801468

If you don't have electricity and don't have solar panels, consider getting a small solar panel like this to keep the batteries charged http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECO-WORTHY-20-Watts-Epoxy-Solar-Panel-with-2m-Cable-30A-Clip-for-12V-Campin-/142438049811?epid=1073576328&hash=item2129f82813:g:4O8AAOSw6YtZXwB4

Maybe even 2 of them, one for the starting battery, and one for the house batteries

It's definitely good to have a solar panel or two for trickle charging.  Clean out the refrigerator with soapy water and make sure there aren't any spills to attract critters.  Then leave the refrigerator doors open.  We always closed our window shades to protect the fabrics and wood from the sun.  We always left water in the fresh tank for use in emergencies (earthquake country) but we didn't have to worry about freezing either because of a mild climate.  If possible, make sure the toilet bowl has a lot of water so the barrier between it and the tank doesn't dry out.  I also made sure there was water in the traps and then covered the sink/shower drains to slow evaporation.  We always retracted our step so no one would hit it while backing in next to us and also to prevent people from being high enough to either look inside or raise themselves into the window next to the door.  In our first motorhome in 1972 we had a gas tank switch that could be turned off so if anyone did get it started they wouldn't get very far.  I don't think they do that anymore.

What I would not recommend is one of those RV covers.  They can be difficult to put on and take off, but they also can get loose and flap enough to damage the paint.  Before leaving do a good walkaround to make sure everything is properly stowed and locked.  For example put the TV antenna down.  I'm not sure about those tire covers.  Have read a lot of pros and cons.  We never used them.

ArdraF

I can attest to leaving the fridge open.  Forgot to do that twice.  It doesn't take long for it to get nasty!

I store mine.....usually maybe 4-6 weeks at the most between trips.  Few times longer

I strongly considered a solar trickle charger.  I have bought too many batteries in boats and my old popup camper, learning about self discharge.
They'll loose roughly 5% charge per month with noting connected.
Going for a moment with the common rule of thumb to never let them go below 50% capacity, that means a fully charged battery might last about 10 months in storage.  Considering that it may not be full to start with, and it may drop a bit more than 5% in a month, and probably other variables too, I wouldn't want to stretch close to that number.....but I figured if it's stored for 2-3 months at the most things should be ok without charging
But
I want to make sure I'm only loosing from self discharge and that there's no other parasitic loads
so the first thing I did to my MH was add cut-off disconnect switches to both my chassis and house battery.  Whenever I park to store, even for a short while, I'll disconnect them. I didn't end up going with any sort of trickle charger and have not so far had a problem.  I'm on 3 years now with the cheap hybrid battery that camping world provided.  It's showing signs of reduced capacity now, but I had some issues that caused me to deep discharge teh thing a couple times so it's expected. (BIRD relay failed for one so the battery didn't charge)

The other things I do
reflectix in all the windows
insulating pillows in the roof vents
stabilizer in my gas when storing
and my new thing since having a blowout is cover my tires

Thank you everyone!!!

Great advice and I will follow those ideas.

Hope everyone had a great 4th!!!

Back
Top Bottom