Travel Preparation After Storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H5-Phil

We feel very fortunate to have the room on our property to park/store our 31TT year-round.  Our rig sits covered and stored for about the 6 months of the year.  At the beginning of each season, and from the convenience of our home, we spend many hours prepping/maintaining/cleaning/waxing (ugh) prior to our first outing.

Our question is how do those who have their RVs in storage due to parking laws or parking limitations/restrictions at their homes manage their RV preparation? 

Someday we will be downsizing to a condo (to allow for very extended road trips) and can't figure out how we'll get all of our prep work done...

Thanks,

Phil & Karen

Mine is stored 2 1/2 hours from me, only 6 miles from where we camp along Lake Michigan. We leave it loaded up with essentials and only take food with us back and forth. Cleaning and Maintenance is done as we camp or by making a trip in the offseason. I recently stayed in it 10 days and had placed an order with Amazon for a small repair part and had it delivered to the campdround. Im finding that everytime we camp I come home during the week and have order little parts or do dads that I have to take back and install while camping. Its a 2016 TT but still needs little things repaired or tweeked.

Yeah, I store ours maybe 15 minutes drive away from our HOA neighborhood.  Fortunately it's not too far out of my way on my route to and from work.  I don't think we are supposed to, but I can get away with it in the driveway for a day or two..... so often I'll bring it home the day before the trip.
or even the weekend before a time or two to get some major work or repair done.
and sometimes I'll leave it in the driveway the night after a trip so we can unload at our leisure...then drive it back to storage on my way in to work.
I also sometimes drop by at lunch or on my way to or from work to drop stuff off, etc...
It's a pain, but not too bad in some ways....it's just food and some clothes generally.  Oh how I wish that I could store it at home though.

Mine is stored about a half hour up the road and very close to my mechanic. Every year about six weeks before we are going to use it, I take it out of storage, drive it to my mechanic and tell him to make it road ready - tire pressure, fluid levels, etc., check the roof and do anything else that I know needs to be repaired, such as a leveling jack solenoid being replaced this time. Then, about two or three weeks before the trip, I bring it home and park it in the driveway to work on it, washing, waxing, cleaning and getting it ready and livable for the trip. That way, I have plenty of time to correct anything else I may find wrong. My city's ordinance states that we aren't supposed to have any kind of vehicle that can be lived in at our home for more than 72 hours, but code enforcement usually doesn't bother you unless a neighbor has called them, and no one on my block seems to care.

After the trip is over, it's the same in reverse. I'll wash and wax it again to get all the road grime off and we'll clean out the insides to make sure there is nothing that will attract mice or bugs, usually keeping the coach in the driveway for one to two weeks. If anything has gone wrong during the trip that must be taken care of immediately that I can't fix myself, it goes back to the shop before being put in storage.

luckily my storage facility is 5 minutes from my house and with just 6in of clearance each side, I can pull my class C into the front part of my drive.  I have a 20amp out let I plug the beast into.  Depending in trip, my prep time can range from 4 hours to 2 days.  Right now the beast has been mostly in my drive way since May as I have been doing improvements, maintenance and such.  The only drawback is parking our cars on the street. Having own the RV for a year, this arrangement has worked out way better than I could have imagine.  Getting ready to take to storage in 2 days for a couple of weeks as I plan the next go round of improvements ( a rear vertical kayak carrier for 2 10ft kayaks) and our next rip schedule in a month.

Back
Top Bottom