Towing advice: 23' FB Flying Cloud Airstream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bar01

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... recently purchased a new 2016 Ford F150 2.7 Ecoboost Lariat with tow package and 3.55 gearing.  The majority of the time would be 2 average sized adults using the camper.  The yellow sticker says combined weight of occupants/cargo shouldn't exceed 1443 pounds.  The other sticker says GVWR is 6,500 pds.  The tongue weight is 550 pds. 

Would this truck be able to tow a 23' FB Flying Cloud? Or is it getting into the danger zone. Specs are:
Unit weight w/LP and Batteries: 4,806
GVWR: 6,000
Net carrying capacity:  1,194
Hitch weight: 457

Or would the 22' FB Sport be a better option:
Unit weight w/LP and Batteries:  3,634
GVWR: 4,500
Net carrying capacity: 866
Hitch weight: 393

I do prefer the Flying Cloud but don't want to overtax the truck.  Wasn't sure if there were any mods that could be made to make towing the Flying Cloud work.

Many thanks for your input!

Glenn is right.

IGNORE THE PUBLISHED DRY WT AND HITCH WT.  They mean nothing to you!  Nobody camps with an empty, dry wt. camper.  The REAL hitch wt. must be at least 10% of the actual loaded camper wt.  Be safe and use 10% of the TT  GVWR.

Check your truck manual or read the fine print on the hitch.  Normally it will be something like 400# hitch / 4000# GVWR for simple towing and 750# / 7500# with a WD hitch setup.

THANK YOU  for yellow label CCC!  That is the real payload!

In this case, you will have 350# passengers (I'm 200# and I think I'm average!),  80# WD hitch,  600# hitch wt and 200# misc cargo (tools, firewood) for a total of 1030#,  well below the 1443# CCC.  Based on how Towing capacity is calculated, you are well within that range, too.

Thank you very much for asking.  You should be in great shape on weights!

Your hitch is spec'd at 550 lb. Actual will be 10 to 12% of gross or 600 to 720 lb. You are likely to get away with it but I'd be concerned, particularly with the trailer having a limited spec load (temptation is to push the limits).

Ernie

grashley said:
Glenn is right.

IGNORE THE PUBLISHED DRY WT AND HITCH WT.  They mean nothing to you!  Nobody camps with an empty, dry wt. camper.  The REAL hitch wt. must be at least 10% of the actual loaded camper wt.  Be safe and use 10% of the TT  GVWR.

Check your truck manual or read the fine print on the hitch.  Normally it will be something like 400# hitch / 4000# GVWR for simple towing and 750# / 7500# with a WD hitch setup.

THANK YOU  for yellow label CCC!  That is the real payload!

In this case, you will have 350# passengers (I'm 200# and I think I'm average!),  80# WD hitch,  600# hitch wt and 200# misc cargo (tools, firewood) for a total of 1030#,  well below the 1443# CCC.  Based on how Towing capacity is calculated, you are well within that range, too.

Thank you very much for asking.  You should be in great shape on weights!

Your total is 1230, not 1030.  Still safe, but edging closer.  I think it's going to be a bit higher yet.  Most of us carry far more then we think.

The hitch should have two ratings, one for "weight carrying" and another, larger one for "weight distributing". The latter applies when using a weight distributing type of hitch, which you will definitely need for that trailer. Check that 550 lb "tongue weight" number again to make sure you know what is represents. If it's the weight-distributing number, it's not sufficient for that trailer.

Another way to look at it: your GCWR is between 12,500 and 12,800 lb and the combined GVWR's of the TV and 23' TT is 12,500lb. Subtracting the tongue weight of 457lb gives you a worst case GCWR of around 12,000. So you would be safe towing the bigger trailer.

However that cargo carrying capacity seems a bit low for that size trailer so you will want to watch what you put in it.

If you go big, get a good WDH with anti-sway.

Gods Country said:
Your total is 1230, not 1030.  Still safe, but edging closer.  I think it's going to be a bit higher yet.  Most of us carry far more then we think.
:-[  :-[  You are correct.  Soft brain that night.  Thanks for the correction.

Note also Gary's explanation of weight carrying and weight distribution hitches.  Very important!

Back
Top Bottom