Connect bed room A/C to th campgrounds 20 AMP breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deacdan

Hello,

I have a 2002 Winnebago Brave 36M with two roof top Air Conditioners (A/C).  My brave has a 30 amp serves supplying power for the entire coach. 

How do I wire my bed room A/C to the 20 AMP breaker at the camp ground?

Thank you,
Dan

in theory..... you could just go up on top and remove the a/c cover, disconnect the existing 120 volt wires from the motorhome (cap them off),  then cut off the end and hard wire a nice 10 or 12 gauge extension cord into that terminal box.
then you just drop the cord down to the shore power and plug it into the 20 amp plug,  the thermostat should still control it.

If the bedroom A/C unit is on it's own breaker in the breaker panel (you would have to find which breaker it is unless it's clearly marked), AND you have access to the breaker panel and can disconnect the wire coming off of that breaker, the neutral wire, and the ground, you could splice a sufficient length 10 or 12 gauge SO or SJ 3 conductor cord and put a 120V plug on the other end for plugging into the recept. at the power pedestal.  Remember though, the wire length that is alreay going to the A/C unit and wire you add, probably shouldn't be over 75 to 100' total.  And in fact, if I did it this way, I'm make sure to use some 10/3 cord to help with the length/voltage drop.

Step one: Identify the power line (Romecz) to the A/C you wish to power independently... NOTE: It may be run through the 20 amp breaker on teh generator or ... Not.. It may go through the auto transfer switch  Or... Not... You are going to have to trace it down.

Disconnect (All 3 wires)

Using 12ga or heavier wire install a run from wherever you just disconnercted to to a handy connection point,, Basement comartment other than wet bay is good.

Extend or re-route the wire you disconnected also using 12ga or heavier, If etending make sure those interconnections are good.. I soldered and wire nutted.

It is suggested you install a 20 amp breaker in that line as well (the one that goes to the roof)

Plug on the line to roof, Socket on the line from whever  Use of 20 am 120 volt plugs and sockets suggested bu tthis means you will need to replace the plug and outlet on your 12 ga (or heavier) extension cord (I did)  and that about covers it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom