extra wire at batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan3dee

Changed out the house batteries on my 06 Vectra and have one wire left over.  It is red&gray and in a gray cover.  Didn't see it when I removed Batts.
                                                                    thanks  Daryl

Sorry I can't help you on this one, I don't have a Vectra.  It's always a good idea, before starting a project like that to take a roll of electrical tape/zip tie/something, and wrap around all of the wires that come off of the pos. terminal.  Then take another piece and wrap around all the wires coming from the neg. terminal.  No surprises that way.

I don't recall those color wires on the house bank - our units are very, very similar. Good tip from xrated, when I take things apart I take a bunch of pictures first. Saved my butt more than once.

Are you the original owner?

Pics are a habit for me anymore.  I still have a batch I took when removing my HDMI 4X4 box that had a bazzilion cables in the back.

On your battery cable, does then length and position lead you to a specific post on the battery?  You may be able to test it for impedance to ground to see if it is ground, and if not its probably positive.

Most of the I do take a picture, it just looked simple,big red and black wires.  Until going back in.  Not the first owner, maybe from somewhere else??  It is a small gauge wire maby 14 16.  Solar charger indicator never did work?

jan3dee said:
Most of the I do take a picture, it just looked simple,big red and black wires.  Until going back in.  Not the first owner, maybe from somewhere else??  It is a small gauge wire maby 14 16.  Solar charger indicator never did work?
The little solar panel wiring is brought into the electrical bay and not directly to the battery bank. Sounds like something a previous owner added.

on further inspection, it is two wires,black & red in one connector at the batt.  Took a look inverter/charger and  similar wires in gray cover same as at batt.. Maybe??  Next question hooks to pos. or neg.??

Pictures AND lables.  My batteries have dozens of wires.

If you have a radio anywhere other than the dash check it's ability to remember station presets.  Might be the memory keep-alive wires.

With a volt meter check for voltage between the loose wires and both battery terminals.  The one where you get voltage (12v+) is probably the one it belongs on.

Of course red is typically the positive side (Winnebago uses yellow for positive and white for negative though) and black the negative side. If I were you, I would want to know for certain where those wires went. If you have a tone tracer ("squeaker") you can tone out the other end but you will have to guess the general destination of the wires and then probe wire bundles. Maybe there's a chance to visually follow the wires?

On my 2005 36RD the Dimensions temperature sensor wire(s) were in a grey sheath and then protected by black split loom.  The sensor was connected to the innermost negative coach battery terminal and went across the coach to the inverter in the electrical compartment.  I replaced the Dimensions unit (see Xantrex RS2000 Install in a Vectra 36RD (long)) 10 years ago so can't provide any more details about the wire.  If that's what this wire is you should be able to open up the electrical chase at the base of the bed and trace that wire.

On Edit:  Note that there are some pictures of the chase under the bed in the above linked thread.

Back
Top Bottom