Oh boy - Roof Repair/Replacement Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scothern99

Good morning everyone and happy Saturday.  I kind of gave up on my generator install as I discovered another problem.....

The entire roof seam down the passenger side is leaking and the rubber membrane decided to pop completely out from under the nose cap.  So.....  Looks like I am ripping up the roof and replacing it.  This started when I went to reseal the satellite cable entry port.  It was sealed with clear silicon by the previous owners.  So as I pulled it up, it kept coming up, all the way down the seem.  Then it pealed the paint off the roof in one solid sheet, and then the roof came up from under the front fiberglass nose cone.  My $7,200 Class A is getting really expensive.  Can't get rid of it, have to restore it......

Does anyone have any tips?  Recommendations?  I already have about 6 tube of Dicor self leveling LAP sealant.  Thinking I need to buy a roll of EPDM, Glue, and butyle tape.  Plus some eternabond tape for the seams. 

Sounds like the previous owner did a half-assed job with the roof. Have you considered gluing it down again and re-doing the joints properly?  Just because the rubber membrane came loose, it does not mean it has to be replaced.  But the cost of the EPDM isn't that bad anyway.

If you do replace it, consider using TPO instead? IMO it's a much better roof membrane. It doesn't chalk and washes more easily.

TPO?  I will have to look at that.  Been looking online and it seems that the EPDM is the most common. 

When the membrane came up, I could see a lot of water damage to the roofing panels underneath at the edge.  So I figure if I have to pull it off to fix the wood, I'm just replacing it.  I have seen some videos and some info, doesn't appear to be too hard really.

Stumbled across this rhino liner type of roof.  Anyone know anything about them?

SO I was reading and I think the Dicor TPO roof is the winner.  I ordered the installation kit, I will order the membrane on payday.  Time to start replacing the wood.  Shouldn't be too bad.

look into eternabond tape, and specifically the web seal.
When I was looking at my roof repair, I used some of this under the  corner insert trim, and it struck me as a good way to go
They also have a double stick version that would be good in some roofing applications I think.  And a wide tape that looks like it would be good to go over that leading edge of the membrane
https://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-Repair-Products-s/22.htm
They have some good datasheets and install instructions to look through to help understand their different products

Whatever you do, don't do like the factory did on mine and cut the membrane short!  Mine didn't have good overlap at the corner trim.  Not enough sealing surface

Also, talking a hint form rvroof.com that sprayed my roof.  They brag about how they seal in around the roof opening for the AC.  Apparently this is a common problem point. I would look into sealing up that opening really well with eternabond or something, too.... in case your AC gasket fails.  Apparently, this gasket fails, then the unsealed edge of the TPO lets the water get into the felt backing, that wicks it across the roof

blw2 said:
look into eternabond tape, and specifically the web seal.
When I was looking at my roof repair, I used some of this under the  corner insert trim, and it struck me as a good way to go
They also have a double stick version that would be good in some roofing applications I think.  And a wide tape that looks like it would be good to go over that leading edge of the membrane
https://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-Repair-Products-s/22.htm
They have some good datasheets and install instructions to look through to help understand their different products

Whatever you do, don't do like the factory did on mine and cut the membrane short!  Mine didn't have good overlap at the corner trim.  Not enough sealing surface

Also, talking a hint form rvroof.com that sprayed my roof.  They brag about how they seal in around the roof opening for the AC.  Apparently this is a common problem point. I would look into sealing up that opening really well with eternabond or something, too.... in case your AC gasket fails.  Apparently, this gasket fails, then the unsealed edge of the TPO lets the water get into the felt backing, that wicks it across the roof

Thanks for the heads up.  I was already thinking I was going to be buying a lot of eternabond tape.  About 150' of it to line the entire roof seem and everything else.  I read you can seal the roof A/C units and the like with butyl tape.  I think my install kit came with some.  Have to double check that.

yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of the eternabond in concert with butyl.

I wasn't thinking so much about the roofseal tape with the plastic film on top, that folks use to repair..... more of the stuff that goes under to seal screw penetrations and in some cases to stick and seal the membrane at the edges

I'd have to re-read some of those datasheets to refresh my memory, but what i was thinking was use either the double stick &/or webseal under the screw runs
and using the webseal (or maybe the double stick along with the membrane), to really wrap and cover all exposed edges of the rood structure down into the hole. 

blw2 said:
yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of the eternabond in concert with butyl.

I wasn't thinking so much about the roofseal tape with the plastic film on top, that folks use to repair..... more of the stuff that goes under to seal screw penetrations and in some cases to stick and seal the membrane at the edges

I'd have to re-read some of those datasheets to refresh my memory, but what i was thinking was use either the double stick &/or webseal under the screw runs
and using the webseal (or maybe the double stick along with the membrane), to really wrap and cover all exposed edges of the rood structure down into the hole.

Exactly what I was thinking.  The instructions for the Membrane say to use butyl tape under the membrane, between it and the decking.  I was thinking that and then cover the seam with the webseal or really good eternabond to seal it for good.......Sort of.

Back
Top Bottom