Background Data Transmissions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Hi,

Just got a new AT&T hot spot (first 4g). I'm seeing high data use (much higher than my use). This is on a Windows 8 pad (actually have 2 in use - one 8.1). The data is being used in approximately 19.5M chunks and multiples  (up to 10x) of that approx qty. and intervals of anywhere from 3 minutes to several hours; usually minutes.

My suspects are Onedrive or a virus. Thoughts or suggestions?

Tx,

Ernie

I'd start by turning off auto download of updates.

If either of the tablets is on Facebook expect very high usage.  Especially with auto play of videos enabled.

Shut down both tablets fully then monitor the download activity of the AT&T hot spot.  It will still have traffic, just how much, who knows.  If that seems to be a lot of traffic, check with AT&T to see if it counts toward your data usage.  It may not.

If the hot spot is not contributing much, power up one tablet and run through usual paces and see what happens.  Follow up up with the 2nd tablet once data usage is determined on the 1st and run it through the paces.

If you can determine which one is using the data, disable OneDrive and check again.

But, my bet is on the hot spot itself.

:mad: I used to have one and it did the same thing! 5 gbs would last maybe 4 days with limited usage. Seen it go through a gb in hour of continuous use! I use my Cricket phone now with a hotspot, 12 gbs can last a month if I am just browsing like I did with the AT&T HS.

Irover said:
My computers are set to only over WiFi! I believe it was caused by videos be set to Auto Play.  got rid of the stand alone HS, Have them set to only play manually now!

Even though set to only WiFi, they are going to update because the tablet to HotSpot connection is WiFi

Ernie n Tara said:
Last Thursday I turned everything off and on Saturday it used 300M. About to give up on it.

Ernie
Did you turn off the hot spot, too?  If not, it will continue to pass data back and forth.  This data is typically not part of your data usage you pay for.  Check with AT&T for clarification.

Back
Top Bottom