Opinion on 98 Bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrew3744

Been looking for a used class a. Came across a Fleetwood bounder 34V and we liked the layout and huge slide out it has. I'm not so sure about the tag axle. Our tow vehicle would be a chevy cruze so I'm not sure its needed but I'm not against it. The bounder is in very good condition and has no evidence of leaks or water damage. all carpets and clean and in good shape. The price seems a bit high at $16k. It does have a V10 which is what I was looking for and has 42,000 miles. Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/6184849430.html

Finding a older coach that DON'T need some work at a cheap price might just not happen. Most all older coachs will need some work. Most coachs that are for sale haven't been used in a while, that's why they are on the market. The ad for that coach says the tires are good, but you better check the date codes on them, they may be aged out. If you're looking to find one at or below low book you can bet that it's going to need some TLC, and maybe a lot of TLC. I just had 2 thermopane windows repaired and with the trip down there I have over $800.00 invested in them.

A nice clean older RV is a good find, and the price goes with the condition more so than the age. That, of course, assumes it actually does look as good as the photos suggest (too often they only tell part of the story). Have you laid eyes on it yet? The asking price isn't out of line if the condition is as good as you say, and you can always bargain a bit besides.

Tag axles were common on the larger gas-powered coaches back then. The Ford & Chevy chassis people were not keeping up with the rapid increase in coach size, so RV makers had to improvise by stretching the chassis.  The tag of course means two extra tires to buy, but I had a '96 Southwind with a tag and it was no problem otherwise.

What all can you decipher from a CL ad. The current owner still owes money on it so his price may not be very flexible. $16,000 does not look like any sort of a deal for that unit. Not terrible if EVERYTHING is in good order. More than full high retail according to NADA http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1998/Bounder/M-34J-Ford-6-8-Liter/3003258/Values 

If he was towing that big 4 x 4 truck its whole life that may have been 42,000 hard miles.

IMHO, unless you are seeking a restoration project, only buy a used RV from someone who loved it! One still in regular service. Preferably they are up or downsizing to fit their needs.

Where was it stored? Lovingly covered over concrete in a garage or in the dirt out by the back 40 acres? Stored over dirt / grass rusts out the underside.

Be aware of "just remodeled" units. What damage were they attempting to repair / hide.

You are buying all of the problems that come with a used truck and a used home. Have it inspected by a worthy individual.

I believe that unit has an EPDM rubber roof. You want to check that to see if its black or blistered. The outside, 1 photo. I am thinking at that age the gel coat is totally chalked and the decals are pretty done. Not a big deal but if you pay for a paint job on that it will be $7,000-$10,000 bucks.

The towing limit on the V-10 I think for that unit is about 5,000 lbs. The home is pulling about 17,000 pounds of its own weight. I also worry if a trailer at 1500 and a truck at 3000 lbs was its usual load.

Offer him 12k it has been 19 days on Craigslist and he still has it. If he says no, leave him your number.

This one looks like it may fit your needs too with no lien.  https://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/6205308477.html

My humble opinion.  They aren't people that worry about details.  A lien on a 19 year old RV but a jacked up truck and muddier tires doesn't exactly say accountant.  There are tons of RV's out there.  Be patient and carry your checkbook because when a beauty comes along she won't last long!  You will be glad you waited!

satxron said:
I believe that unit has an EPDM rubber roof. You want to check that to see if its black or blistered. The outside, 1 photo. I am thinking at that age the gel coat is totally chalked and the decals are pretty done. Not a big deal but if you pay for a paint job on that it will be $7,000-$10,000 bucks.

The towing limit on the V-10 I think for that unit is about 5,000 lbs. The home is pulling about 17,000 pounds of its own weight. I also worry if a trailer at 1500 and a truck at 3000 lbs was its usual load.

Offer him 12k it has been 19 days on Craigslist and he still has it. If he says no, leave him your number.

This one looks like it may fit your needs too with no lien.  https://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/6205308477.html

Looks better to me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom