I would so appreciate your help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevDen

We've had a very hard year.  I won't both you with the details but it has been 12 months of incredible stress.  After retiring from being a pastor for 43 years, we sold our house of 25 years and plan to move to be with our family.  However, I realize that I'm not at a point in life to make a decision so we are going to store our stuff and set out in our trailer.  Enough of my tale of woe. 

We used to camp a lot when our boys were young but haven't in 2 decades.  We need a break so we are going to try rv life and heal up.  Do you know Colorado or northern NM where beginners could pull into a park, hook up, learn the rv, and let go of our stress? 

Maybe I shouldn't write this kind of stuff in this forum or site.  If I'm made a mistake, please forgive me.

Dennis

Dennis, don't worry about asking for help.  All of us have gone through serious down periods and it's good when you let us know where you're "coming from" so we can help the best way possible.  I can't answer your specific question about finding a stress-free place in NM or CO, other than it probably wiill be among trees and birds, but it's good to know that you and your wife are moving forward and we'll help when we can.  Here's hoping this year will be better than the last one!

ArdraF

Sorry for your travails. In both Colorado and New Mexico there are a number of state parks which generally have the sites among trees (unless in the desert or plains). The limitation is that they may restrict you to two weeks at a time, and weekends and holidays usually require reservations months in advance, and most sites don't have full hookups. You can check online, but they range from no hookup to electric only to electric and water, with a few even having sewer.

Commercial campgrounds are rarely among the trees, though there is one I know of a bit west of Colorado City called Aspen Acres that puts you among the trees -- I'm sure there are some others around. One I really like is Winding River Resort at about 8700 feet right next to Rocky Mountain National Park and is just outside Grand Lake, Colorado -- they have some sites among the trees, they have sites for people with horses, an ice cream social some nights, chuckwagon breakfast some days, and more. The KOA at Raton, NM and the KOA at Colorado City are not forested, but are a little off the beaten path (especially the one in Raton).

If your trailer has enough capacity (water, holding tanks, batteries), there are some areas of BLM land where you can boondock at little or no cost.

Allstays Camp and RV app for Android (I think they have it for Apple stuff too) is an excellent resource to aid in finding such places.

Good luck.

I agree with Adra, we are happy to help or just be a sounding board.

Try looking at some reviews of campgrounds in an area you think you would like to be in. Having a full hook up will help. Just take one day at a time. There may be thing to fix or understand so just pop back and ask.

Take care ☺

For the first couple of nights, I suggest staying fairly close to home, or at least near a town with the usual shopping or a WalMart.  Chances are once you start living in the trailer you'll find stuff you forgot to pack or think of better ways to organize what's in there, and being able to pop out to a store will make those days a lot less stressful.

As far as being a newbie, don't worry about it.  You'll find most RVers are incredibly helpful, though you may run across the occasional grouch anywhere.

Once you're comfortable living in the RV, then search for that perfect place to unwind.

We just got home from our first real RV trip - 5 weeks including several stops in Colorado. One of our favorite campgrounds was Diamond Campground in Woodland Park, west of Colorado Springs, in the mountains. Yes, lots of trees, and friendly, helpful campers next door.

This forum is a GREAT place for this kind of post!  :)

While we all love RV'ing and do see it at a huge stress reliever (for the most part), you ought to know that it can/does come with its own set of challenges at times.  This groups is a great place to ask questions and learn as much as possible BEFORE you go.  Although you are not complete rookies and I'd say really not much has changed with RV'ing since you last camped a lot 20+ years ago... except maybe the technology of some "creature comforts" that can still be skipped.

Are you looking at parking/camping someplace long-term for a change in scenery, or moving around more often?  That may change location suggestions from folks familiar with the region where you'll be.

We stayed at M Lazy C Guest Ranch northwest of Co. Springs on US Hwy 24 in 2014.  It caters mostly to horse folks, but they accommodated us.  The place was a hoot.  There was lots to see if you like animals and they have a neat general store and other facilities to help make your stay comfortable.  We were parked a long ways away from most activities because there was a big family reunion going on, but still, we had water and elec.  Our neighbors were a couple of women with mules in tow.  The campground had corrals right behind many of the campsites (ours included) where cowboys and cowgirls could pen up their mounts.  We heard the heehaw of the neighbors' mules and the whinny of horses and barking of dogs much of the day.  It was a pleasant "back home on the farm" feel.

It may be more primitive than suits you, but it is a fine place to just sit and watch the animals, tame and wild, or just stare at your naval.

Try Canon Bonito RV Park and fishing resort in Antonito, CO. A small park in the woods (full hookups on every lot) on a trout stream. Owners are great and it may be the most restful place we've ever stayed.

Ernie

RevDen said:
We've had a very hard year.  I won't both you with the details but it has been 12 months of incredible stress.  After retiring from being a pastor for 43 years, we sold our house of 25 years and plan to move to be with our family.  However, I realize that I'm not at a point in life to make a decision so we are going to store our stuff and set out in our trailer.  Enough of my tale of woe. 

Do you know Colorado or northern NM where beginners could pull into a park, hook up, learn the rv, and let go of our stress? 

Maybe I shouldn't write this kind of stuff in this forum or site.  If I'm made a mistake, please forgive me.

Dennis

RevDen
We've been "unwinding" in campgrounds for 14 years.

To find some in Colorado Google "colorado campgrounds".
To find some in northern NM Google "northern new mexico campgrounds".
To find one near you Goggle "campground near me".

Lou Schneider said:
As far as being a newbie, don't worry about it.  You'll find most RVers are incredibly helpful, though you may run across the occasional grouch anywhere.

Yeah... this can depend on whether you catch me B.C. or A.C. (before coffee :mad: or after coffee ;D)

Thank you ALL for the great ideas.  I'm going to take you up on them and do my research.  The road sounds so inviting and meeting new good folks with be fun.

Back
Top Bottom