EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Campground Jams?  (Read 965 times)

Urban Hillbilly

• ---
  • Keep on truckin' (I mean RVin')
Campground Jams?
« on: July 08, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
We are new to RVing. We get our trailer this Thursday, so not even on the road yet.

I'm a musician, piano player/singer with a portable/digital piano. Do people get together at campgrounds and play music together just for fun. How about Sunday gospel get togethers? Is this even allowed?
Barry & Bobbie L.
Pikes Peak Area, CO
2014 Lance 2385 Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra SR 5
Piano (digital) on board

Joezeppy

• ---
Re: Campground Jams?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »

A friend's dad's barbershop quartet has gotten together a couple of times on camping trips to practice. They did gather somewhat of a crowd and even took a few requests! I've never seen any other type of impromptu get together but I'm sure they happen.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »
One of the parks we stay at in Florida in the winter has regularly scheduled jam sessions in the community center.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
They happen, just not often enough.  We've been to a couple of RV parks that have organized jams every week.   Check the bulletin board.   

The best jams are the ones that happen in the parking lots of music festivals.

Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

blw2

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:35:15 AM »
when we stayed at Gamble Rogers State Park in FL, I remember them telling us at check in of a planned jam session.  We didn't get teh chance to attend so I can't comment on how it goes.  I think it was a regular thing.....since Gamble Rogers was a musician.
This is the only one I'm aware of....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
If you put your keyboard outside and quietly played, you would attract listeners. Some of those folks might be musicians who would join. I have a friend who is a good guitarist (not a pro), and he generally attracts listeners who end up singing with him in addition to listening. Not as challenging as a jam with other musicians, but he enjoys it. If you are a long term camper, put up a sign in the clubhouse. I bet you would find other interested folks. Just don't play too loud or play too late.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Urban Hillbilly

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
Thanks for the input. We are new, pick up our trailer this Thursday, so I don't know the protocol for this kind of thing. I certainly don't want to raise a ruckus.

I noticed in your list at the bottom of your reply that you have two cats and a dog. We have the same situation and are going through various ideas to make it work. If you any info or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Barry & Bobbie L.
Pikes Peak Area, CO
2007 Toyota Tundra SR 5
Piano (digital) on board

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
I noticed in your list at the bottom of your reply that you have two cats and a dog. We have the same situation and are going through various ideas to make it work. If you any info or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
We use a pet gate that has a smaller gate in it got the cats. We leave the little gate open and keep their food and litter box separated that way. The box is under the pull up bed with a hole fit in the side of the bed base (nicely trimmed). The dog takes up a lot of floor space!
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
I'm not a musician, but know that there are plenty of jamming opportunities in the Quartzsite, AZ area during the winter months.  Some jams are held in RV Parks with large meeting rooms and are scheduled.  There are impromptu jams all over the BLM camping areas that surround the town.  There is a Bluegrass Festival each year in nearby Blythe, CA.  I don't know the dates but you could probably google and find out.  Sometimes the jams are in unlikely places ... such as McDonalds.  ;D

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
Occasionally I'll get my guitar out and play a bit. It sometimes attracts notice (so far all favorable), and once in a while may attract another instrument. Not often, though.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 02:28:59 PM »
Friends of ours check with the hosts or rangers when they check in to a campground. If there are no scheduled jams or performances, they bring out their ukuleles and start playing around the campfire. Folks, especially kids, come out of the woodwork, and occasionally musicians bring out their instruments.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
On lazy days with good weather - I often set my keyboard on a stand next to the coach, grab me a nice glass of bourbon and play for a couple of hours.  It's rare that the afternoon walkers don't stop and comment.  If there are other players in the campground - it's pretty common that somebody in the walker crowd lets me know about them.   

If we're going to be at a campground for any length of time - I usually try to stop in at a local music store and ask about live entertainment in the area - especially where the open mics / jam sessions are.   Armed with that info - I do what I can to find somewhere to sit in.   During our trip to Florida this past winter - this approach worked real well.   I was able to find somewhere to play out at virtually every one of our three month long "stops".   
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

rjf7g

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
We have a Saturday night jam session every weekend in our seasonal campground - basically the same core group with others coming and going.  Sometimes overnighters will join in as well.  I suggest setting out a few extra chairs and just going outside of you camper and playing a bit.
2017 Aqua Patio SB235 with Yamaha 200HP
2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2003 Club Car GS
1999 American Cruiser

Urban Hillbilly

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
Thanks all for the input. Spacenorman...good to see another keyboard player on the road. Maybe I'm not soooo crazy afterall! Great idea to look for local open jams. Great way to meet the locals, too. I hope to get together with some of you in the future and jam some good tunes.
Barry & Bobbie L.
Pikes Peak Area, CO
2007 Toyota Tundra SR 5
Piano (digital) on board

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
...good to see another keyboard player on the road.

Your message and Spacenorman's motivated me to get the keyboard out of the closet. We're not currently in the coach, and don't normally haul a keyboard on our travels. I'm just getting away with several ukes and a guitar on board, and need to find a hiding space for a keyboard. All my fly fishing poles and related gear are a visible reminder to my other half of the space I'm taking up  :-[
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
If you put your keyboard outside and quietly played, you would attract listeners. Some of those folks might be musicians who would join. I have a friend who is a good guitarist (not a pro), and he generally attracts listeners who end up singing with him in addition to listening. olks. Just don't play too loud or play too late.

If you have any ideas on how to encourage a campground jam at the "esoteric" rally/get together in Lanesboro, MN I would be open to pursuing the idea.  I'm not aware of any musically inclined rally participants but as you know Lanesboro is an artsy community so maybe there are some community folks who would be interested in performing?  Just random thoughts so far. 
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
If you have any ideas on how to encourage a campground jam at the "esoteric" rally/get together in Lanesboro, MN I would be open to pursuing the idea.  I'm not aware of any musically inclined rally participants but as you know Lanesboro is an artsy community so maybe there are some community folks who would be interested in performing?  Just random thoughts so far.
Actually I have a friend who was going to attend who is a good guitar player. I enjoy singing too. Another friend is thinking attending (can't commit yet), and that family sings and plays the guitar too. Maybe we can get something started! One of the worst thing about traveling is that I can't be in a choir  :'(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:40:16 PM by UTTransplant »
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
So let's make this happen!!  We still have sites that the CG is holding until 9/1.  So much fun to be had!
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
As someone with no musical talent, I thoroughly enjoy campground jams. We experienced several in Nashville where we were staying. It was as good if not better than anything you'd pay for.
To the OP. Keep playin!!
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
Bob do you know of any musicians who would be interested in a CG Jam at the October rally in Lanesboro?  Maybe a small stipend?

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Max, unfortunately I don't know of any local groups that may do this. I follow some local TC bands that would probably charge far more than a stipend to perform.
Sadly (again) I will be out of town on business for the Lansboro rally.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

ajmilkfarm

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
I am a retired percussionist and drummer. I can not carry around a set of drums, vibes or timpani. However my stick bag and percussion bag is always with me. I also play the banjo and just sit a pickin' and a rockin' almost every night. I have attracted mandolin players and guitar players. Just play quietly and enjoy. I was just in Custer South Dakota playin when the Park Ranger told me it was the prettiest thing she ever heard in the park. Quite a compliment.
keep on giggin

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
Don't miss Mountain View, Arkansas they have music every night except Sunday. We usually stay about a week when we are close. Lots of campgrounds plus the Ozark Folk Center.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Hosted by Over The Network