SMART ENERGY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MODEL 900 for 50 amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady

Hello

I have a RV fleetwood southwind 32vs year 2005, I live in Chile.
This RV has the SMART ENERGY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MODEL 900 for 50 amp.
The RV, by mistake, was conected to 220 Volt (not 110V) :'(, I will need to check the circuit, breakers, and the wires in order to find the problem.
Maybe I don't need change all the board? (EMS)
Has the EMS any breaker or fuse for that problem? Or I'm lost and need to change all the EMS...
Any suggestions will be very much appreciated because in Chile we haven't technical service for RV.
Regards

Hi Lady, welcome to the RVForum. Believe it or not, this is not an uncommon occurrence. People who've done it have reported a range of damage from simple blown fuses to having to replace components. I don't know of any way to check, other than to plug in (to 120 volts) and see what does and doesn't work.

Kev

If you have an EMS that is supposed to limit your usage (a Load shedder) when on 30 amps.. YES, there is a fuse.. and that's all I know about it.. also the connections to the breaker panel.

I know there is a fuse because others have reported the existence of one.. alas. I don't have such a unit and thus can not tell you where it is. I have to rely on my poor old brain to shed loads,, alas,, Sometimes it fails and then I have to go reset things

It's not clear what problem you are trying to fix. You indicated the RV in fact has 50A shore power service, and that actually is 220v service, even though it is utilized within the RV as a pair of 120v circuits.  Perhaps you connected to a 3-wire 220/240v outlet, which would have overloaded the individual 120v circuits?

In any case, what have you tried so far and what does or doesn't work?  The Smart EMS wasn't necessarily damaged at all, so I would not automatically assume you need any new parts for it.  The EMS itself is powered by 12vdc, not direct shore power, but it has relays for controlling power flow (load shedding) that might be affected.

If 220v reached the wrong places, you may have damaged other components or appliances, which do use shore power directly.. The battery converter/charger is one possible casualty, and the tv & microwave are some others.

Thanks for the answers.
The RV and EMS it's ok, only the outlet 15 Amp of the bathroom is bad (very burned).
I disconnected the bathroom outlet (it's like the hotel bathroom plugs, with test and reset buttons for security)  and everything works  :) with 120volt and 12 volt.
The external trunk plugs (outlets) also do not receive electricity, but are not damaged. I am waiting for the spare outlet of the bathroom (eBay) to connect it and see if that also replaces the electricity of the plugs of the outer boxes.
Sorry for my English, I will try to explain the next situation:
The generator don't start, The starting start sounds, but it does not start, it sounds like drowning. I do not know if it is because the bathroom circuit is disconnected. Or maybe because something with the circuit of the plugs of the external trunk (I don't know the word in English for the outside boxes )
Any suggestions will be great!

The bathroom outlet is a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFCI) plug.  It's designed to protect against electric shock by shutting off the power if even a small amount of current leaks to ground ... perhaps through you?

The set and reset buttons aren't for security, they're to test the operation of the protective circuits and reset them after a fault trips the outlet.

The generator sounds like a separate problem.  Does it crank over, or is the "drowning sound" something like a relay buzzing?  If it cranks over but does not start, then you have to look at the engine and make sure it has proper fuel and spark.

If it just buzzes without turning over, you have weak batteries or a bad connection going to them.

Keep an eye on your battery condition.  If the high voltage blew a fuse in the converter, it won't charge the batteries and the 12 volt lights will continue to work until the battery drains down.

Lou explained the GFCI. I will add that the outside outlets are almost surely connected to that bathroom outlet, since they are also required to have GFCI protection and chaining them together is the easy solution. When you get the new GFCI installed, they should come on along with it.  Assuming of course that the outlet was the issue. It may be just doing its job and shutting off power because a short to ground has been detected. If so, the new one will do the same.

Back
Top Bottom