Reese Weight Distribution Hitch and Dual Cam Sway Control Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBK

I believe what I bought off Craigslist is a Reese Weight Distribution Hitch and Dual Cam Sway Control. I cannot find any installation instructions anywhere, and was hoping you folk might tell me if I installed correctly...

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 38
Click on the library tab above, look in "towing and towables". There is a very good write-up there. The instructions from Reese are online.

I searched through the library, and could only find how to adjust after it's install, not the correct way to install.

Searching online, I could only find instructions for their newer products, not the older. "Measure from the mark on the ball coupler to the center of the cam arm pivot bolt" ~ Reese Install Instructions for the newer model. So I'm thinking that there's a like measurement for the older.

What I was trying to show with the picture (and I now see I forgot to mention) is as close as I was able to follow the instructions without a measurement and where the arms are "seated" and it looks dangerously close to the ground.

edit: BTW, I did the library search, and all other searches, before I bothered you guys.

I appreciate that.

All they have is for current products. I'm not rich enough to buy any of that.

The first link you gave has adjustable length cam arms (not sure if that's their name, but I hope you get what I'm saying), and mine has set length arms. Should I simply mount the cam arm base so that the trunnion bar fits/seats onto the cam bar?

Not sure if any of that made sense...

Sorry, I don't know enough about the Strait-line Dual Cam set-up to comment on that, but what you said sounds OK.  The adjustable arms must be a feature of the newer HP model.

I apologize, as I didn't look at your pics. My phone would have taken a while to load them for viewing while I was in a low signal area. I've never seen the solid arms like you have. Maybe an email or call to Reese would be your best bet. Or maybe ETrailer may have have the old instructions in their archives.

This looks like the one I used to have.
It seems to be correct the important part is that the "cams" line up when hooked up.
The cam riding up on the saddle is what provides the anti-sway function. You may need to adjust to maintain this and still have your  correct hitch weight.

I used to have one of these, too.

The tricky part is getting the cams on the trunion arms to line up against the saddles on the equalizing bars, so the saddles ride up on the cams as soon as the trailer moves off center.  This is what provides the anti-sway action.  The position of the trunion arm bases on the A-frame will vary depending on how many chain links you are using.

Loosen the U-clamps holding the trunion arms to the A-frame so you can slide them back and forth with a little effort.  Connect the trailer to the tow vehicle and adjust the number of links on the chain so the tow vehicle is level, i.e. both the front and rear sink an equal amount.

Make sure the car and trailer are in a straight line and slide the trunion arm bases as needed so the cams rest against the edge of the arm saddles without riding up on them.  Loosen the U bolts a little bit and tap on the base or on the U bolts as needed to get them to slide into place.  Taking a short ride with the U bolts slightly loose can also help center the cams against the saddles.

After the cams are properly centered, tighten down the U bolts to lock the arm bases in place.

The newer version makes all of this easier by using adjustable length trunion arms instead of having to change where the arms connect to the A-frame.

That's what I was looking for exactly, Lou. You have my thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom