What's Better Than Dicor Self-leveling sealant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capatton

I should have stock in Dicor products. Has anyone used something better than Dicor for sealing a fiberglass roof to the metal guttering on their roof? I have to reseal portions of it every time I move my Winnebago. It just doesn't stick, no matter what I clean it with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheryl

I'm not completly sure of the joint you are talking about, but Eternabond tape may also work for you. John Canfield probably knows exactly what joint you're talking about and can tell you if Eternabond would work for you in that situation.

Google Geocel.  They have a good RV product line. I have been very pleased with their EPDM sealant and and their
brushable (although thick) pro-flex product.  They likely have something that will suit the need.

I think you are talking about the radius where the roof "cove" meets the aluminum extrusion on top of the sidewall. You want a flexible sealant, without looking up your sealants, I believe Winnebago uses a polyurethane based version. My coach is in factory service today (one work item is sealing up that joint - again) or I would look at the spare sealants I carry.

Again referencing that particular joint, some have used Etrnabond tape in the hopes of a permanent solution but I've not had any long term feedback about how successful that is. As an experiment I tried some epoxy on the rear corner of the cap where it meets the sidewall but there's enough movement between the surfaces to where the bond broke (as I suspected it would.)

Dicor carries a non leveling sealer for vertical applications, That may work for you. Did anyone use silicone at one time because nothing will stick to silicon.

I would use 3M Marine UV 4000 (that may be 4200, can't remember for sure), it is very strong and elastic and holds up well against UV.

ChasA said:
I would use 3M Marine UV 4000 (that may be 4200, can't remember for sure), it is very strong and elastic and holds up well against UV.
Yes, 3M UV 4000 is the best. Better than any traditional RV product

As long as we are on the topic of roof sealants, what is the recommended sealant for replacing the coax feedthrough to the satellite antenna?

JoelP said:
As long as we are on the topic of roof sealants, what is the recommended sealant for replacing the coax feedthrough to the satellite antenna?
I use Dicor (they have various sub-types depending on the gap) for all roof penetrations.

IMPORTANT:  If someone ever used silicon sealant to seal that joint, nothing will stick to the joint and you will have to put more down every time you move.  Nothing sticks to silicon, not even new silicon!

If indeed there is silicon in that joint, it will have to be scraped out, possibly sanded down some, before anything will stick.

Geocel  2310 brushable sealant will cover and stick to existing silicon. My BIL gave me a gallon 10-12 years ago and I applied it to all seams on rubber roof on our 92 bounder over silicon, over caulking, and over what ever else was up there. Haven't had a leak since and haven't applied anything else to roof since then. I used a little over a quart out of that gallon. It's a clear,  very brushable product that will run down into cracks, seams, and ect. Also, very sticky and seems to stay flexible.

first I've heard of that Geocel  2310
interesting!
"brushable"....does that mean it goes on like latex house paint....or maybe more like a caulk or tar..... or more like a thin solvent such as mineral spirits?
.....Just for future reference I'm just trying to wrap my head around the stuff, what sort of crack size it would fill, vertical surface use, etc....

Back
Top Bottom