EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Gas Buddy RV friendly stations  (Read 2032 times)

kdbgoat

• ---
Gas Buddy RV friendly stations
« on: July 10, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
I just got an email from Gas Buddy that has a map of RV friendly gas stations. It certainly isn't all conclusive, but is a start. There is a place to add a station, so those of us that do have and use the app stand to help make it a useful map.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Re: Gas Buddy RV friendly stations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »
THAT will actually be very helpful!
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

kk9wradio

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
I was on my gas buddy app and did not see where I could select RV friendly gas stations. Do they just show up or do you filter them. I saw nothing in the filters either.

Steve
Where We Are Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W  ARRL VE Icom 7300 Steve and Joy
2016 Allegro Open Road
Cooper ... The Aussie-Doodle, Yogi...The Yorkie, Cookie ... The Chihuahua

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
I'm wondering what the criteria is for an RV friendly gas station?
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
I'm wondering what the criteria is for an RV friendly gas station?

Since their info is crowd sourced guessing it will just be subjective user opinion. Might be worth something, or not
Scott

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
Might be very valuable.
I had an iphone app a while back that was supposed to do this but just targeted diesel lanes. Pooffed it.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »
What  does RV friendly even mean? To me, it means there is enough room to get diesel fuel into my rig. Many, maybe most, Walmart (Murphy) stations fit my criteria.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »
What  does RV friendly even mean?

Can you get in and, even more importantly, can you get back out?
Scott

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »
Yep, getting out can be a real bear.  Some of the earliest Flying J RV islands fit into that category because you're driving toward the building that has parking in front of it.  I don't consider those "RV friendly" no matter who says it!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
Plus, what's RV friendly to me in a 24' class C, may not be so friendly to someone in a 45' DP with a toad.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

beaverfever

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
where do you find it on the app? mine does not show anything about rv's on it

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 06:04:39 AM »
I received it in an email from Gas Buddy. Just looked at the app though, and I also didn't find anything about an RV friendly tab. I did find it online though:

http://business.gasbuddy.com/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

schoolsout2

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:02 AM »
Looks to be a web page with stations mapped.  Descriptions are linked, but no photo or details.
Dave and Sue Fullerman
2014 Winnebago Tour
2012 Honda CRV
FMCA F7777D
from Ohio now full time

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:43:10 AM »
I think think Gas Buddy needs a tab under their amenities tab like they they have for truck stops, etc. I would think for this to work for RV'ers, we would all need to provide good input to Gas Buddy to maybe help them develop some good criteria to define "RV friendly"

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

kk9wradio

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
I agree with the RV tab. It is really useless as it is. Have to have a computer running while looking for an RV friendly station.
Where We Are Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W  ARRL VE Icom 7300 Steve and Joy
2016 Allegro Open Road
Cooper ... The Aussie-Doodle, Yogi...The Yorkie, Cookie ... The Chihuahua

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »
I received it in an email from Gas Buddy. Just looked at the app though, and I also didn't find anything about an RV friendly tab. I did find it online though:

It is nice to see that they are thinking about RVs, but this appears to be only half baked with what they have here.  We are still better off with other phone apps for truck stops.  Perhaps with some feedback to them they will eventually have something useful.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
good to see some movement towards RV friendly gas stations as that means to me a gas pump that can handle Class C's with a toad....as its the "gas" part thats problematic with RVs that use gas
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
I just got an email from Gas Buddy that has a map of RV friendly gas stations. It certainly isn't all conclusive, but is a start. There is a place to add a station, so those of us that do have and use the app stand to help make it a useful map.

Ok, if you have a google account its simple to  copy this map to your google account and save it and then add or edit as needed.  It would be located in your "Drive" section.  I find this to be awesome as now I can add gas stations I know that are gas friendly.  You can add different layers to the map as well for other points of interest

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »

Not one station listed in Michigan?  Something doesn't look right if that's the case.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
I use Pilot and Lowes app on my IPhone.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

mrb05

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I work for GasBuddy, and I would love to enhance the experience for RV'ers using our app and website. We're considering adding amenities to help RVers find what they are looking for. I think kdbgoat nailed it on the head when he said we need a definition of what RV friendly means. It seems that everyone has their own definition as well as their own requirements.

I think think Gas Buddy needs a tab under their amenities tab like they they have for truck stops, etc. I would think for this to work for RV'ers, we would all need to provide good input to Gas Buddy to maybe help them develop some good criteria to define "RV friendly"

What I'm asking for is a conversation where we try to build a consensus on what would be most helpful for RVer's in the app, specifically regarding Amenities. I think the important one to nail down is what "RV Friendly" means, regarding canopy size and turning radius. Secondary would be other amenities that you would find helpful, Overnight Parking, Waste Dumps, etc.

If you have any other requests or suggestions for features that you would like to see in the app, feel free to post it here or email me at aburant@gasbuddy.com.

Thanks,
Andrew!

Feel free to delete this post if it's against forum rules. I read through them and I didn't think it broke any of them.  I'm just looking to help develop a feature that helps the RV community!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:54:32 PM by mrb05 »

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:07 PM »
What would get me to use Gas Buddy a lot more in the RV?
Notes about:
1) straight drive through vs tight turns
2) propane, potable water, or dump available
3) dips in the drive (I've scraped the hitch getting in/out of a few places)
4) low canopies or other obstructions

Position of the pumps is something to consider. With the gas cap so far back on the RV I often have to have the nose out into the drive lane to get the nozzle close enough. Just knowing if the lanes are parallel to the storefront or perpendicular would help decide between stations at a crossroads.

I would pay a nickel more per gallon for easier drive through.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
RV Friendly would be Canopy high enough to get under without worry, wide lanes and large enough lot to enter and exit both diesel and Gas pump lanes easily with a 40 foot rig, and Toad or trailer, extra RV Parking area (Like Cracker Barrel parking lots) for shopping after fueling.

Addition RV friendly features would be, Waste dumping station with easy access, Potable water for refilling tanks, Pet walking area, high pressure air supply for RV tires, High speed Wi-Fi or even just 4G cell repeater.
Overnight parking would be a big plus, as well.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
Our MH is 43 feet long - 63 feet when towing, and I've never had much luck with the Gas Buddy app helping me find a fueling location in which I can easily maneuver. I've played with the settings and have concluded that the app's filters weren't designed for that.

Instead, I bought an app called Truck & Travel, that maps truck stops, and truck stop related businesses. It has data for all the different truck stops you always see while traveling. Since I much prefer to refuel at truck stops, it's proven to be a much more useful app for our needs.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

mrb05

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the early feedback.

Stephen S, point 1 and point 3 raise good points, however, I think they would be too challenging to communicate as an amenity. I think it would be great information to leave in a review though. Perhaps we could somehow highlight or identify which reviews are relating to RV's so that you could easily reference the specific details of the station. Thoughts? Is this information you reference somewhere already?
Regarding 2 and 4, see below.

LarsMac, I'm trying to define an amenity from your comments. I'm still a little fuzzy on the size because we have to communicate a bunch of variable information in a single category. Would something like this work?

"Size" - Amenity
RV 30 (Medium) - good for 30 foot rigs w/ toad
RV 40(Large) - good for 40 foot rigs w/ toad

Any suggestions on how we could communicate the height, width, and pumps better?

Additional Amenities:
Potable Water
Waste Dumping
Overnight Parking
Pet Walking Area
High-Pressure Air Supply
Wifi

Thanks Kev. I'll take a look!

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »
I would find it particularly helpful  to know the orientation of the pumps relative to the store. Stations with the pump islands parallel to the store are much easier for RVs than those that are perpendicular to the store.  The worst are the statiions with the islands arranged in a fan pattern like many Sheetz and Circle K/Kangaroo here in the southeast.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
I also use Next Exit book.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 06:32:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I work for GasBuddy, and I would love to enhance the experience for RV'ers using our app and website. We're considering adding amenities to help RVers find what they are looking for. I think kdbgoat nailed it on the head when he said we need a definition of what RV friendly means. It seems that everyone has their own definition as well as their own requirements.

What I'm asking for is a conversation where we try to build a consensus on what would be most helpful for RVer's in the app, specifically regarding Amenities. I think the important one to nail down is what "RV Friendly" means, regarding canopy size and turning radius. Secondary would be other amenities that you would find helpful, Overnight Parking, Waste Dumps, etc.

If you have any other requests or suggestions for features that you would like to see in the app, feel free to post it here or email me at aburant@gasbuddy.com.

Thanks,
Andrew!

Feel free to delete this post if it's against forum rules. I read through them and I didn't think it broke any of them.  I'm just looking to help develop a feature that helps the RV community!

those of us who drive gas powered RVs are always at a disadvantage as truckstops have diesel pumps available for diesel RVs but most have gas pumps only suitable to cars. Throw in a gas powered RV with TOAD...so any delineation would be helpful

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »
A couple more suggestion. When viewing the map, it would be good if we could turn on Satellite View to see the layout of stations. Also it would be helpful to know if a station has truck lanes. I travel mostly old u.s. highways and like using stations the have truck lanes.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

mrb05

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Thanks again for the feedback.

ChasA, I love the idea of a satellite option on the map. I think it would help RVers immensely.

decaturbob, a great point as well. We'll keep Gasoline in mind when trying to enhance the functionality. My previous suggestion to identify the parameters of the fuelling lane was RV 40(Large) - good for 40 foot rigs w/ toad. Would appending a "G" onto the amenity help convey that the fuelling lane has Gasoline? So RV 40 + G - good for 40 foot rigs w/ toad ?

I'm just throwing out ideas. Let me know if you have something more clever.

RVRAC, I will take a look at that app as well. Any specific functionality that you find valuable?

Hosted by Over The Network