Do RV'ers keep their "tent camping gear?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redheadangel37

Hello All!!

My DH and I are about 4.5 years out from our 1st RV purchase, and after a fairly eventful tent camping trip this weekend, we have discovered a question we can't seem to find an answer to.

DO RV'ers keep their camping gear???? I can't imagine they would...but we just can't figure out if so why?

What do you all do?? BTW our trip was eventful because we realized we are no longer in our 20'3, 0r 30's and man we are so sore!!!! :eek: :-\ :)(

Redheadangel37 said:
Hello All!!

My DH and I are about 4.5 years out from our 1st RV purchase, and after a fairly eventful tent camping trip this weekend, we have discovered a question we can't seem to find an answer to.

DO RV'ers keep their camping gear???? I can't imagine they would...but we just can't figure out if so why?

What do you all do?? BTW our trip was eventful because we realized we are no longer in our 20'3, 0r 30's and man we are so sore!!!! :eek: :-\ :)(

Redheadangel37
We kept the tent, and some camping gear, because when our kids where young they liked to CAMP OUT where we where CAMPING IN.....(our Motorhome).

We kept ours.  Kids want their own space as they get older.  Our son is now 15 yrs old and wants a 6 person tent and an air mattress for himself by our rv so he can spread out.  He is 6ft tall and can't comfortably fit on his bunk bed  anymore.  Many National Parks (eg Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park where we're headed in 2 weeks) have a tent pad in addition to a spot for an rv.

We usually tow our Jeep behind the motorhome, and I will sometimes head out on an over-nighter in the desert or mountains. So yes... I keep a 4 man tent, sleeping bag and everything else I need, in the MH.

Kev

We still have all the tent camping gear. We use it once or twice a year while canoe camping. Occasionally we bring all the items except tent, sleeping pads, and sleeping bags, and camp using only the gas stove, washing dishes outside using tubs etc. We have a number of friends who still tent camp, so it is a nice change of pace to camp with them. I get to enjoy the outdoors but still sleep in my comfortable bed.

After not having ysed it fir at least 30 yearts, I just sold my Svea backpacking stove. I have no idea why I still have a very heavy, cancas, six man tent.

I still have a two man tent, sleeping bags, and cooking gear, that we use for for canoe camping.

Joel

I still use all my lightweight / compact camping gear for bicycle and motorcycle touring.
I hear ya about being sore.
I remember the days bouncing outta that tent in the morning like a sprung jackrabbit.
Now it's a 5 minute process with lots of groaning.....

Yep, we keep a tent and 2 backpacking hammocks in the motorhome. We also have a "tenting" kit made up that stays with it.

Well, I don't really consider RVing camping really.  It's a different thing.

I still tent when I can with my son's scout troop, and love it.  I have a little two man tent I use for that

and lately, I have been looking into upgrading some of my gear to get some lighter stuff....thinking about getting back into some backpacking.  Maybe do a 1 week section hike on the AT or some other long trail next year.

Last fall, I broke out our old family cabin tent when we went camping with some friends at a state park.  They aren't RV'ers.  I figured it would be better quality time together if we were all tenting.  I also wanted to give my girls some tent experience.  My middle daughter hasn't been in a tent since she was a baby, and I don't think my youngest had ever before.  They so far have not tented in Girl Scouts.  It was a great time....except the old dog of a tent, that I never liked by the way, leaked when it rained.  It was old and had been stored in the attic (mistake).  The other issue was that we had to set up on a slight hill, and my new lightweight backpacking mattress kept sliding down hill all night!  It was a rough couple of nights!!!  ..... The old tent went out to the curb the very next trash day, only because I couldn't find a dumpster at the state park! 

I'm glad we did it though.  It was a great time overall, and I think everyone had fun.

You all are wonderful and if nothing else this tells me we are on the right track. Our kiddos are, well not kiddos anymore, the youngest just turned 25 in June and is engaged. No grandbabies as of yet, so it's just the DH and myself. I think a good upgrade on a few things will be helpful too, but I think we plan on keeping things after hearing this. We may just let the kids use them if they travel with us....or they can bring their own!!!

Happy days!!  ;D

Yes, I have all of my tent gear, etc. I love tent camping it keeps me active, and a bit more agile.

I retired from the AF in 1999. We were already full timing for a year. I went back to school at the University of Florida. One summer semester one of my professors ask me if I would like to go to Oregon and help the Forest Service with some research. So we packed up and spent the summer in the Umpqua National Forest. Some of my duties included going to campsites and doing exit surveys as campers were leaving. My wife and I would pack the tent and camping equipment and spend a few days at remote campgrounds. I was 50 years old and it was kinda rough going from the nice queen size bed in our 5thnwheel to sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag. It was still kinda fun but I am now 66 and not sure if I would enjoy it now.

Oldgator73 said:
I was 50 years old and it was kinda rough going from the nice queen size bed in our 5thnwheel to sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag. It was still kinda fun but I am now 66 and not sure if I would enjoy it now.

With the new camping stuff, cots, bags, etc. at 63 I am really enjoying the camping thing with my Jeep friends. It is not like my Motor Home, but it is fun. I am doing an overnighter this weekend with a group of folks, and we are preparing to "run" the Rubicon Trail for three nights in August, all in a 2-man tent out of the back of my TJ.

For those of us who have problems sleeping in a tent, check out some of the wonderful, lightweight, and compact sleeping pads that are out there now. My days of using a skinny closed cell foam pad have gone away. I now use a down insulated inflatable pad that is 4" thick when inflated yet packs away only slightly bigger than a Nalgene bottle. One of the most important advances in modern technology LOL! Add to that a wonderful down bag and a tent that I can almost stand upright in, and tent camping isn't so bad. Of course I go canoe camping instead of backpacking so I can add a compact chair too plus a roll up table. True decadence.

Keeping it and using it are two different things. I have kept my tent for my kids to use if they want it, but it hasn't moved from where I put it in the attic 7 years ago. Even my kids rented an RV on their last trip. Much of my old camping gear went out of date years ago.  Go and try to find a Coleman lantern when LEDs lamps or solar lamps work so well. My guess is that today's gear will be out of date 10-15 years from now as well.

A few years back a  rather horsey woman strode by my friends motorhome at an Adirondack park, and said quite loudly  "I don't call THAT camping".

Wish I could post the response!!!!!!

We kept the tent in our Trailer days.. When we went to the motor home we put it in a storage facility and alas... "lost" the storeage room so we lost the tent.

There are times I consider getting another,, but I need a companion first.

NO !!!  Been there, done that, since we were about 7 years old.  In the High Sierras.  All summer long.  Outhouses.  Loved it.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.  (Didn't like the outhouses.)

Now we're 78 and 84.  We've given up the motorhome, hung up the keys, and are settled into an over-55 active park.  We've been through tents, 24' trailer, 19' trailer (so we could camp in the mountains) and 36' diesel motorhome.  To each time there is a season.  When the season ends,  TOSS the equipment and start on a new and different adventure.

I still have my stuff.  Did a fair amount of backpacking back in the day.  Everything but the packs are stored in the TT.  You never know when you may want to stay under the stars for a night or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom