Tetons, Colter Bay RV Park, Back In Sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gods Country

To anyone who has been to this park, do you recall whether the back in sites are decent or poorly located?
According to the website there are only 9 back in sites, so I figure there must be something odd about them.
They are short, so that could be the reason.
These are the only sites available for reservation in late September.  Just don't want to get stuck in some after thought of a site.  We may go with a different site and dry camp when we get there is something else is available, but want to stay within the Colter Bay area.

Been there twice (and will be there early Sept) but never noticed any back in sites. I would keep checking back. Last year I was able to extend my 2 day stay back to the 4 day we wanted. There are also two sections at Colter Bay. One is reserved full hookups, the other is first come less than full hookups (can't remember what the hookups were). You can always do the first come while waiting for a cancellation for the full hookups.

Hmm was wrong about the hookups. Looks like it is dry camping and the reviews on RVParky were less than stellar but here is the info...

http://www.gtlc.com/camping/colter-bay-campground

I think some of the sites at the regular campground are electric/water.

BUT

Lol I noticed this morning that the dates on my calendar were off by a day.  I had us coming in a day earlier and leaving a day earlier.  Pushing everything out one day and coming in on a Sunday freed up a regular pull through site at the FHU RV park.  We will be dry camping in Yellowstone for 7-10 days prior so FHU will be nice. So everything worked out.  Crisis averted. ;D

Any ideas on when they open reservations for the RV sites?  Looking for 7/2018.  Do I need to call in or just wait until January 1st?  Any experts?

Just called.  FYI - Reservations are booked up to 11 months in advance.

I just need to wait a few more weeks...

We were there early last Sept and from what I recall there are two RV Parks at Coulter Bay; one with hookups and reservations and one without hookups and operates on a first come first serve.  I know the later RV campground is ran by the park service, not sure about the first.  I'm sure someone else here can chime in. 

We stayed in the first come area and got there about 1 pm and did not have a problem getting a site. I can imagine in the prime summertime that may be a different story.  It was around Sept 5 I think and got into the upper twenty's at night.  We stayed in a generator loop, and did run it a bit to heat the motorhome up in the am.  The sites there were little pull off semi-circles, if that makes sense.  There is no backing in at the first come RV campground.

I sort of remember looking at the other park and I think there would be back in sites there.

Hope this is helpful!!!!

Back
Top Bottom