Double Check Me Please: Wall Paper Removal in '92 Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phsion

Hello all, I've started a restore on a hand-me-down 1992 Toyota Gulfstream Ultra Class C, and I've hit a point where I should ask for expert advice. Please see the attached photo for reference.

I've started stripping the wall paper from the first section of wall, but the internal layer of lauan plywood comes off instead of the wallpaper. I've been using a heatgun and water/fabric softener solution, but the wall paper is stubborn and the lauan is old and brittle, so really I'm taking one or two layers of plywood along with most strips of wallpaper.

This didn't really bother me, I don't mind replacing the plywood, but it dawned on me that I could be screwing with some factory structural integrity, and not just an internal wall covering.

I've been forcing a 3" paint scraper between the foam and plywood to separate them, by the way. It's a little tedious and slow going, but not too bad.

My questions are:
1) Should I stop what I'm doing because the wall is about to cave in, or am I fine?
2) I was planning on repairing any gaps or damage in the foam with foam filler or a gorilla glue and baking soda mixture. Does this sound right?
3) The window frame is just poorly cut raw edges of the fiber/lauan/foam/lauan walls, I was planning on sealing them with aluminum tape before reinstalling the windows with fresh butyl. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Thanks for the help!

For reference, as best I can tell the lauan is damaged from the window leaking, but it seems to be very light damage, nothing noticeable on the external fiber or external lauan skin. I've already dug into the floor and while it has it's sinkholes, there isn't any rot or mold.

Attachments

• wall_sample.jpg
    wall_sample.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 40
I'm certainly no expert on this but we've taken quite a few factory tours over the years and that "wallpaper" is bonded to the luan during construction.  I've seen a big piece of luan with the wallpaper layer bonded to it (maybe with heat but I don't recall for sure) and then the pieces are cut to the desired pattern and put into place as walls.  I'm not sure you'll be able to get it off but hopefully someone else has some real experience doing it.  Good luck!

ArdraF

Same here no experience, but if I recall correctly those who have remodeled have reported that they cover the wallpaper by first removing any loose bits, then filling with flexible, paintable painters caulk, then painting.

Correct. The luann boards have the paper glued to them, it's not like regular wallpaper. They are also not structural, just a wall covering. (Think drywall in a sticks and bricks house.) If the walls are in good shape, just sand, clean patch and paint. If you have soft spots, that tells me there has been leaks, and that woud be my main concern. Make sure you check all your windows, corners, roof, vents, etc. If needed, clean and re-caulk everything. ;) Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom