Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Sliding door to bedroom failure  (Read 265 times)

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
Sliding door to bedroom failure
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:28:31 AM »
We left yesterday for points north and when we stopped for the night at the New Green Acres Campground the sliding door to the bedroom was hanging in a cocked position. It appears that one of the hangers has broken. We went over some rough road on I 95. I can't see a good way to fix it. Has anyone had the same problem and how did you fix it? Thanks!
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Sliding door to bedroom failure
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:54:56 AM »
Yikes. I think I've had that sliding door off before. I believe I pulled the door fully out and was able lift it up and out. My coach is in factory service at the moment or I would look at mine, I'll be seeing the tech in a few minutes and will ask.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »
This may or may not help, but here was my simple fix for a similar (the same?) issue.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

judway

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Thanks John.

Tom, The part looks like what you describe. A quick observation indicates the part on the door is made of plastic and is probably broken. There are some decorative boards that block a good view. I will have to wait until later to get into the actual fix. We are on the road and won't probably get to it until next week while in Indiana. I am looking for all of the information I can get.

Thanks to both.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
Wayne, I hope your fix is as simple as mine. FWIW when a door came off a hanger, it would block ingress or egress from the bedroom, and scared me about what might happen in an emergency. The only way to open the door was to put my foot under it and slide it open on the remaining hanger.

As I think back, when we viewed the coach (new) on the dealer's lot, one of the two sliding doors was in pieces, and stored in the bedroom closet. They replaced the door, and I didn't think any more about it. Even when, several years later, the doors came off their respective hangers, I didn't join the dots, until posting this reply.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:25:50 AM »
In our case, when the door is in the pocket, we have a factory installed strap which goes around the top of the door keeping it from sliding out of the pocket. A couple of times we've forgotten to connect the strap and found the door had been sliding back and forth while traveling but nothing got damaged. We we're lucky.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

judway

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
I just got around to checking the door. My connectors looked just like the ones shown in Tom's report. The latching plastic part was not broken, just came unlatched. I put everything back together and the door works great. Thanks, Tom!

When we got in to Sevierville, TN, the battery in the Equinox was dead and I forgot to put the jumper cables in the car. A friendly neighbor had a pair of cables and we got it started OK. I still can't find the problem as I have a wire connecting the MH battery to the toad battery. Measurements indicate that everything should be working.  Guess I will get it checked Thursday, when we get into Cincinnati.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
Although every thing checks out now, perhaps there was a poor connection while towing.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Hosted by Over The Network