Powering a Dometic Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laybeeface

I just recently moved into a fifth wheel on a friend's property, which is off the grid. The house on the property is powered by solar. I have been periodically charging the batteries (two 12V batteries) on the fifth wheel using their power. Everything works fine running off of the batteries. However, the fridge only works if the fifth wheel is plugged directly into the house power. Is there any way to run the fridge off of the batteries if the batteries are fully charged? There is not enough power to run the house and the fridge all day and night.

If possible, post the make and model of the fridge. Most RV fridges run off of 120 volt shore/generator power, and propane. They still need 12 volts DC for the controls in either mode. The folks here can walk you through getting it running on propane.

The fridge's Mode switch (on the front of the fridge) may be set to AC. If that's the case, it won't work if AC power isn't present. Check the Mode switch and set it to Auto. That way it'll switch between AC power and LP (DC power) automatically.

Kev

If you mean running the cooling operation using 12V, some models can be operated that way but most cannot. Those models that do, are power hungry in 12V mode and would flatten your batteries in no time. 12V is needed in all cases for the control circuits, as was mentioned above, but the usage is minimal in that mode. The Propane mode is the way to go as propane usage is quite small although for full time living it will require topping up every couple of weeks.

Posting the make and model of your fridge will confirm what it is capable of doing.

I don't know of any Dometic RV fridge models that do not have the option of operating on LP (propane), and they use minimal 12v power when doping so. See Kevin's advice re the Auto/AC/LP mode switch and use either Auto or LP mode.

The model is Dometic 2665. IT does not work on Auto or LP mode when unplugged.
I just figured out that I believe none of the outlets in the fifth wheel work when it is not plugged into the house power. Do I need something like an inverter to make the outlet that the fridge is plugged into work?

I'm wondering if you have an issue with 12v power. If the fridge doesn't work on LP without being plugged in, the problem isn't the 110v system. When not plugged in do the lights work in the trailer? Does the light work in the fridge?

With a Dometic Absorption Cooling Unit (Fridge) that can run on either Propane or Electric, it SHOULD switch to Propane when not plugged in to 120vac. More on outlets later.

NOW: if there is something wrong with the propane side of it, it won't switch (it will fault out)

I can not say more about that specific model... I don't have the bandwidth to research today.

IF the interior light on the Fridge works, when not on shore power.. IT should work on propane, (That is the easy test, more complex tests are dependent on the model).

Outlets: Normally they do not work when not plugged in. YOU CAN add an inverter to power them but that's the only way. 

OH, and if you try to run it on an inverter.. What someone else said about eating batteries. BIG TIME.

What make and model converter do you have. that too may make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom