roof repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papachaz

Couple of weeks ago I was up on the roof doing the usual maintenance. Washed it, dicor caulk, cleared the drain line on the A/C, the normal things we all do (or are supposed to)  ;)  I found a soft spot about the size of a small dinner plate right along the edge. I was looking for it too, as we'd noticed a spot in the ceiling beginning to wrinkle  :(

when I bought this camper a few years ago, it had a soft spot around the TV antenna, and the dealer gladly repaired it as part of getting to sell it. what he did, was pull off the termination strip on the front, the gutter on one side, and pull back the rubber so they could replace the decking. They did cut the roof straight out from the edge 18", and then patched it with a piece of aluminum flashing, putting dicor under it before they screwed it down, then completely covered it after putting it down. I didn't have a problem with that, as that's basically how the do anything that goes throught the roof, the vents, the antenna, etc.

well, 2 1/2 years later, we find we've had a leak along the edge, I think it's where they didn't do a real good job of sealing the edge and the gutter when they put it back on. So, today, while we have a few sunny days in the forecast, I've cut out the old decking. Letting it sit in the sun to dry, will replace the insulation, paint all the wood that was wet with Minwax wood hardner/sealer, replace the decking and put it back together. I just cut it back like they did, and will repair it back like they did, along with eternabond over the top of each patch. Then I'll start saving for a new roof to be put on

here's a few pics of what I've gotten myself into. Stinks to be trying to do this too with a bad back, taking me 4 times as long as it would have a few years ago  :-[

Attachments

• IMG_6582.JPG
    IMG_6582.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 53
didn't realize I could only put one pic per post? oh well.

the rafters and all the other wood other than that decking are just wet, they're not soft so I'm confident in the minwax, that's pretty good stuff for sealing and harding wood and will even stop any more rot

Attachments

• IMG_6581.JPG
    IMG_6581.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 41
didn't realize I could only put one pic per post?

FYI you can put a few pictures in each post, Click 'more attachments' and go through the "browse" and "select" each time though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom