Engine pinging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandelion

I have a 24' Starcraft that weighs 5500 lbs.  I am hauling it with a 2008 1/2 ton Suburban that has 170,000 miles.  Is there anything I can do to stop the pinging, such as using synthetic oil?  I have already tried moving to mid-grade gas.

if you are working an engine hard, you should be running the best gas you can get,  run 91 octane ... that often cures the pre-ignition pinging.

I suspect you have carbon build up on the valves, that is causing the pinging. A modern engine should not ping as the knock sensor detects the ping and retards the timing. With carbon build up it can not be controlled by reducing timing. There are some additives that will remove carbon but with that many miles on the engine I suspect the heads will need to come off a valve job performed along with cleaning the combustion chamber of carbon build up. Also try a top tier premium gas first which will be cheaper and see if it helps.

He's right...That carbon build-up comes from years of running cheap gas,  spending the extra .04 per gallon for gas is cheaper than a valve job.

A 2008 should not ping.. It has sensors that should adjust the timing to keep it from Pinging.

That said. they still can if run hot and heavy and/or with cheap gas.

Unless you are comfortable working on 21st Century Gas engines. I'd seek professional help (Mechanic skilled in that make).

Will it help???????

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Automotive-Octane-Boosters/zgbs/automotive/15718861

Octane boosters and/or highest octane fuel might help.  Testing the knock sensor might show a fault.  Using snake oil for cleaning the combustion chambers might help, search for combustion chamber cleaners.  Continued operation with the engine knocking will lead to damage.  A tear down is a real possibility.

the old school way of de-carbonizing an engine was to spray water down the air intake while it's running at 3k rpm...it was rather brutal but it worked.

TonyDtorch said:
the old school way of de-carbonizing an engine was to spray water down the air intake while it's running at 3k rpm...it was rather brutal but it worked.

Yep

X2 on Seafoam.  I would dose up the tank and run it and see what happens.  I use Seafoam religiously on all my small engines and add a can to the gas tank at each oil change.  I haven't seen any fuel issues.  You can also get a can of Deep Creep, Seafoam in an aerosol can,  and spray it down the intake with the engine running to help loosen up deposits.

I love Seafoam too and it works great as a gasoline stabilizer and fuel system cleaner,  but watch out with a heavy dose of Seafoam in the gas tank... it could damage the catalytic converter.

I have tried all of the fuel and oil additives an none have fixed the knocking. Knocking is nothing to play around with, you can damage your ending to a point of no return. I use b12 cheem tool for fuel issues but with the knocking issues the high grade pump gas and an octane booster. That is the ONLY thing that keeps it from knocking. Look at some pictures on parts of engines that were knocking and you wont mind paying a little extra at the pump.

Granted  you should not he knocking at all the truck should have a sensor on it. My did and i check it to be working good. But I still had the knock. The sensor is only about $25 but mine was under the intake and i do not want to change it out.

AS I stated above you have carbon build up in your top end. A Chevy with 170K will have valve seals leaking and oil getting into the cylinders causing more carbon build up under a load ( towing) the carbon gets hot and now the engine acts like a diesel and the fuel air mixture ignites without the spark. The engine needs a valve job and mechanical cleaning of the top end. That is what will cure your problem. As said by others it this is not fixed your engine will be destroyed.

I ended up using a high end octane booster and use the 92 octane gas. The issue has cleared up, even when pulling the TT. Thanks FOr all of the help.

BTW B12 Chem Tool is the best fuel cleaner in the world. I have tried them all.

John From Detroit said:
A 2008 should not ping.. It has sensors that should adjust the timing to keep it from Pinging.

That said. they still can if run hot and heavy and/or with cheap gas.

Unless you are comfortable working on 21st Century Gas engines. I'd seek professional help (Mechanic skilled in that make).

All engines can ping. The knock sensor retards timing on the engine. It can only retard so much. If the knock sensor is bad (usual CEL) it will ping or go into a limp mode. Knocking can destroy an engine, put holes pistons bend rods ect. Its a very bad thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom