F53 power steering reservoir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmer dan

As luck would have it, I have come up needing a part for our 96 that is no longer available through ford. Also nothing close in after market. We have a hole rusted through the bottom of the power steering reservoir. I went to Ford hoping to get some specs on one on a newer model. No such luck, they don't give them any specs.  If I order it, I'm out the money if it doesn't fit. Anyone else replace these with after market? Anyone with a newer f53 that could give me the specs on theirs? Mostly I just need one big enough and with three of the right size hose nipples on it. I have the hydro boost so from what i gather is the reason i have two return lines. Two 1/2 inch and one 3/4 Thanks in advance.

The engine and power steering pump may be the same as what is on the mid 1990's large ford trucks with the same engine.  A junk yard may have a replacement.

The power steering reservoir is an outboard reservoir on this it's not mounted to the power steering pump like on most cars and trucks. You have a big canister out in front to always your fluid because you need more fluid than a normal vehicle could have. I was just hoping somebody around would happen to have a newer  f53 chassis with the motorhome. Might have one that they can share their specs on.

My 92 f53 had a plastic remote PS reservoir. I punched a hole in it when a wrench slipped while changing the radiator. I bought an aluminum reservoir from summit racing I think. (This was six or seven years ago). I just tee'd the two return lines originally,because we were late starting a trip. Everything worked OK. I eventually welded in another return barb.

I found one at summit racing, but it's a bit smaller than mine. So not sure if it will be big enough to allow for heat expansion of the fluid. But I'm considering going that route unless Ford's new model will match hose size and closer in capacity. My dad's workhorse had one but only has one return line. Thought about that route and like jubileee did, add another return barb to it.

Have you considered patching it with JB Weld. I had an air compressor tank that rusted out. I patched it with JB Weld and a piece of lawnmower blade bent to match the curvature of the tank. That was about 20 years ago. The patch is still holding at 120 psi.

Good to hear it is still holding. I have thought about it, but wasn't sure if power steering fluid would react to it. I am getting g the high temp stuff for my manifold. There is a return line that comes back to the manifold that has two bolts in it.  One bolt hole is stripped out, so I can't get it to seal. My hopes is to fill drill tap and screw it together. Did find some one that might be able to braze it. It has been brazed twice before i guess as we can see the braze marks on it after cleaning it up.

I have pics of a 2005 and 2007 F-53 setup. Looks to only have 2 hoses, unless there's one lurking on the back side.

Attachments

• DSC01204.JPG
    DSC01204.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01205.JPG
    DSC01205.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 17
Sunfighter, thanks for the pics. Two hose out the bottom and one out the side close to the bottom. Unless you have the hydromax then just the two out the bottom.  I hope to have mine repaired by next week. Dropped it off today to get brazed. They said they think they can fix it. Hopefully so. I'll let you know. Also gonna see if the 2017 is close to mine next time I go to a dealer with a 2017 on the lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom