Full timing in N GA or N Alabama what's needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmf

Hello everyone,

I've read a lot of stories about winterizing but haven't seen any about living in the south where it freezes sometimes but very seldom for more than a day and usually warms up above freezing after the sun comes up. Would we have to winterize or use antifreeze in the tanks and keep the water line up to the RV warm or something else. If it is going to be a hassle I'll head south for the winter but I grew up in FL and no how many people head that way during the winter.

We are new to the RV world so we are also new to full-timing and have a lot to learn. This is an awesome place to do that.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Inside won't freeze up if you have the heat on. What I did was just disconnect the water hose and turn off the faucet overnight and hooked it back up again daytime when the temps went above freezing. If the freezing temps are going to be for an longer time, I left the hose off and used water from my fresh water tank. If you want the hose connected, get a heated hose.

pmf said:
Hello everyone,

I've read a lot of stories about winterizing but haven't seen any about living in the south where it freezes sometimes but very seldom for more than a day and usually warms up above freezing after the sun comes up. Would we have to winterize or use antifreeze in the tanks and keep the water line up to the RV warm or something else. If it is going to be a hassle I'll head south for the winter but I grew up in FL and no how many people head that way during the winter.
We are new to the RV world so we are also new to full-timing and have a lot to learn. This is an awesome place to do that.
Thanks in advance,
Pat

pmf
All you have to do in the situation you describe is turn the campground water faucet off...and disconnect your water hose... when a freeze is expected....(and leave both like that until the out side temperature "warms up above freezing").

Thanks, everyone! That's what I thought but it's nice to hear from folks that have actually been there.

Thanks again.
Pat

You will have to check your 5vr for exposed waste lines or connections in addition to taking care of your fresh water hose. Some trailers have an underbelly membrane that encloses the waste tanks and lines and provides some protection from freezing as long as the trailer is heated. Some trailers don't have protection. If tanks and lines are visible underneath, you'll have to provide a way to keep the lines from freezing or you won't be able to dump your waste in freezing weather.  Why do I know? I have a travel trailer parked on some property in Ellijay, GA and temperatures get into the single digits sometimes. My waste tanks and lines are normally visible underneath and the water in the lines will freeze and prevent the waste valves from opening until it warms up above freezing.

regval said:
You will have to check your 5vr for exposed waste lines or connections in addition to taking care of your fresh water hose. Some trailers have an underbelly membrane that encloses the waste tanks and lines and provides some protection from freezing as long as the trailer is heated. Some trailers don't have protection. If tanks and lines are visible underneath, you'll have to provide a way to keep the lines from freezing or you won't be able to dump your waste in freezing weather.  Why do I know? I have a travel trailer parked on some property in Ellijay, GA and temperatures get into the single digits sometimes. My waste tanks and lines are normally visible underneath and the water in the lines will freeze and prevent the waste valves from opening until it warms up above freezing.

regval
I question whether an overnight freeze will do any damage to the tanks and lines visible underneath your travel trailer.
My 21 year old, 149k mile, MH has lived through freezes as long as 3 days....(in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MO, MS, NM and TX), with no damage done.

(However you are correct.... if/when the dump valves freeze up you have to wait until they thaw out before you can dump).

Our 2018 Keystone Sprinter has "Enclosed underbelly with direct vent heat" so the tanks should be covered and heated but of course, the connection on the outside would be. Don't know if the heat from the tanks would prevent that from freezing or maybe put some insulation over it.

Thanks,
Pat

mels,
I've never had any damage to the waste tanks or waste lines due to freezing temperatures lasting days or weeks. The OP asked about full time winterizing advice and he got mine. I've been camping in trailers for over 45 years and have seen some "creative" ways people try to keep water and waste lines from freezing. Some good, some bad.

Back
Top Bottom