2003 Journey DL - Can't get 50 amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnyjohns1

Hi everyone, I have a 2003 Winnie Journey DL Diesel Pusher and am having trouble with my power.  On my Freedom panel I have the 50 amp incoming light lit and am plugged into 50 amps but anytime it goes over 30 amps it shuts down the second air unit and water heater.  Does anyone know how to get this panel to allow the full 50 amps?  Thanks for any advice!

Welcome! You shouldn't be shedding any loads on 50 amp shore power. Be sure you actually have both sides of the outlet on the pedestal showing 120 volts. If the power at the box is okay, then I would suspect something is wrong with the load shed device (Intellitec Powerline?)

What everyone calls 50A is actually two 50A connections.  +50/Neutral/-50 and ground.  Check for both legs of the 100A connection at the box, in the junction box before your converter,  and the transfer switch if you can get at it. 

A burned or loose connector at any of these points could cause your problem.

If the 50A indicator light is on at the Powerline panel, the load shed function is supposed to be deactivated. If it is still active, the Powerline EMS is messed up. First step is to reset it to see if it gets its brain back online. If that doesn't work, it needs probably replacement.

To reset the EMS, remove 12v power to it for 20 seconds or so. In most RVs, turning off the house battery disconnect (aka salesman switch) will do the trick, but in a few you have to actually take the cover off the power panel and disconnect the 12v wire that feeds it.

8Muddypaws said:
What everyone calls 50A is actually two 50A connections.  +50/Neutral/-50 and ground.  Check for both legs of the 100A connection at the box, in the junction box before your converter,  and the transfer switch if you can get at it.  A burned or loose connector at any of these points could cause your problem.
Exactly - 120V x2 with each leg feeding half of the loads in the coach. 100 amps total. The OP should go for the low hanging fruit by resetting the load shed device as Gary mentions and if no joy start at the power pedestal and work in with a meter.

A caveat for sonnyjohns1: please don't start troubleshooting live AC unless you are skilled and comfortable working around live AC. Make a bad mistake and it could kill you.

What everyone calls 50A is actually two 50A connections.  +50/Neutral/-50 and ground.  Check for both legs of the 100A connection

All true but not germane to the problem, at least not as described by sonnyjohns. The EMS does not report 50A unless it can see both legs and measure 200+v between them, so the power must be present. sonnyjohns also reports that everything works until 30A is exceeded and then the EMS begins to shed loads. Again, that doesn't happen if one leg is missing altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom