Class A E-350 vs E-450 for Thor Vegas 25.5 ft and 26.5 ft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjosimpa

I am considering buying a 1 to 3 year old Thor Vegas, or similar, Class A with the Ford Triton V-10 engine.  The 25.5 ft is shown with E-350 chassis, the 26.5 ft with E-450.  The unit would be used in the Smokey Mtns.........numerous very long 7 and 8% grades.  Would a lighter E-350/V-10 unit perform significantly better climbing than a heavier E-450/V-10 unit?  What are the basic differences between an E-350 and E-450 chassis that would lead a buyer to one vs the other.  We do not anticipate a toad, loading would be my wife and myself. 

Thanks for any/all thoughts.

Al Rice

Don't know for sure....but I remember reading once that the only difference was something weird...like maybe a difference in the exhaust system.
I don't think there's much difference......  but like I said, don't know for sure...

I don't consider myself an expert on this, but as I believe, the only difference between an E350 and an E450 is in the springs, suspension, and frame. ie. the E450 can carry more weight. The engine, tranny and rear axle are all exactly the same. So no difference in driving. BTW both the E350 & E450 use the 2 valve V10, 305HP, not the 3 valve V10, 362HP, used on the F53 chassis. Why? As best I can find it's a clearance issue, the 3 valve head is taller and simply won't fit into the E series chassis.

sadixon49 pretty well nailed it. 

Here is a link to the 2016 E-series motorhome chassis spec brochure. Compare to your hearts content!  Note that the "cutaway chassis" is for a Class C and the "stripped chassis" a Class A. Also note that each comes in a couple of configurations, e.g. different wheelbase and GVWR. You need to find which of those is used in whatever motorhome you are concerned about.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2016/16_ESeries_Cutaway_SB.pdf

Thanks to all that weighed in re: E-350 vs E-450 ability to navigate 7 to 9% long, mile ++, uphill grades.

Specs indicate the E-450 rear axle slightly higher ratio (a plus) than the E-350......and/but the E-450 a couple thousand lbs heavier.  So on paper pretty much impossible, for me, to determine best climb ability.

I feel my best and decisive approach in determining which chassis will satisfy will be to test drive whatever floor plan satisfies.  And test drive on  type road grade(s)  that will demo unit uphill capability.

Thanks again to all.....what a great resource you all are.

Al

Aren't  the wheels on the E350 are 16",  and the wheels on the larger E450  19" ? (or is that only the F53 chassis).
typically bigger wheels/tires means bigger brakes as well.

Hill-climbing performance is pretty much a power-to-weight ratio thing. Obviously the rear axle plays a part, but the chassis engineers are pros at matching the ratio to the load. In any case, is it important to get to the top of the hill a few seconds sooner? Both rigs are gonna get there.

I would not choose the E350 rig simply because the chassis capacity is less, primarily a lower GVWR. The E450 is a more capable chassis for carrying around a heavy motorhome & your gear, and in my opinion well worth the difference in price.

TonyDtorch said:
Aren't  the wheels on the E350 are 16",  and the wheels on the larger E450  19" ? (or is that only the F53 chassis).
typically bigger wheels/tires means bigger brakes as well.

nope, E-450 has R16, load range E
but the rear tires are at their max on a rig the size of mine...

I like the look of the conversion to the 17.5 inch commercial tires, like they run on the F-550 service trucks...but don't like the price

As stated earlier, go for the E450 over the E350.  You have more Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) in the E450 when the length of the 2 motorhomes are about the same. 

Both the E350 and E450 will do fine in the mountains.  You are not going to go up the hills at 70mph, but just gear down to keep your RPM's around 4000 and you will be fine. 

BTW, Class C motorhomes are built on the E350/E450 chassis not Class A's.  Just a nit, but it helps to keep confusion out of the issue.

AStravelers said:
BTW, Class C motorhomes are built on the E350/E450 chassis not Class A's.  Just a nit, but it helps to keep confusion out of the issue.

Actually there are some A's built on stripped E450 and E350
Thor's Axis and Vegas for example

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom