Two Part ? - Largest size MH that would still get you into Anywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mile High said:
I consider the MH the Mother Ship so I keep her in orbit while I explore in my shuttle craft.  It was never my intent to buy a  MH that i can cram into those rare hideaway places I can do in a tent or truck camper, rather my intent was full use of comfort offered in 43.5 ft. :)

This ^^ is my philosophy as well. Get into the area, then day trip, or side trip for a night or three.

I have both my VW toad and a dual-sport motorcycle for getting into smaller places. I kept my tent I had before the RV. Then with the canoe on top of the VW as well, there are very few places I can't get to and camp.

This question of base camp / explore vs travel and stop has a lot to do with your travel desires and available amount to time.  The base camp and explore model works good for those that have a lot of free time to travel  (full timers, snow birds, etc.)  For people that are limited by scheduled vacations and such the travel and stop model may work better.

For the base camp and explore model, the 45ft motorhome and TOAD exploration vehicle may work great as the 70 ft long combo is only on the road from base camp location to base camp location every couple of weeks on average.     

For people using the travel and stop method, length becomes more important.      This is part of the big appeal of class B's, being able to go just about anywhere, and being able to  park in a standard full size 9 x 22 ft parking space, the problem with class B's is they give up so much to fit into that standard parking space (limited cargo capacity, most have seats that convert to beds, limited tankage, and there is often a toilet in the shower)    Sure even B's have some limits, you are not going to pull up to a McDonalds drive thru, but you can get into the McDonalds  parking lot.  Speaking of which I was shocked to see someone pulling into my local 35+ year old McDonalds parking lot pulling a 5th wheel the other day, I have no idea how they parked, of course delivery trucks do it, but they don't care who they block in.      In my case I have a short 28 ft class A 29'6" inch bumper to bumper, with a 178 inch wheel base.  This is a compromise, on one hand I can't fit in a standard parking space, but on the  other I can stand in my bathroom with my arms out stretched and can't touch the opposing walls (full width rear bath).    What this means for the  travel and stop model is that I can usually pull in and stop at many points of interest (worlds largest ball of twine, ...), however it often means making a scouting pass by the parking lot, and giving some thought to parking access, but with a 178 inch wheel base, I can sometimes fit into a standard length parking space if I can let the back end overhang the curb. 

Isaac-1 said:
This question of base camp / explore vs travel and stop has a lot to do with your travel desires and available amount to time.  The base camp and explore model works good for those that have a lot of free time to travel  (full timers, snow birds, etc.)  For people that are limited by scheduled vacations and such the travel and stop model may work better.

For the base camp and explore model, the 45ft motorhome and TOAD exploration vehicle may work great as the 70 ft long combo is only on the road from base camp location to base camp location every couple of weeks on average.     
I would have to disagree with your theory as I'm the one that brought up the base camp/explore concept and we are vacationers, not fulltimers or part timers.  I don't think it has to do with your time available, rather just how you approach your planning (and both ways are effective).  We just went to CA Redwoods and drove out there in travel and stop mode, then switched to base camp and explore using two base camps on the way - Benbow, CA and Crescent City Oregon.  We toured the heck out of CA and OR in the Jeep, then back home in travel and stop mode.  Overall trip was 12 days or so.

Every once in a while I see a couple in there Class B with lawn chairs out and the awning checking out a nice view in a spot my 43.5 ft would never fit and that is really cool, but I also remember trying to find places to park our 1 ton dually we had when we had a 5th wheel,  especially in some of these national park parking lots, and I don't miss that either. 

After shopping dealerships, I looked at how much coach I felt like driving and could afford to operate. Then, instead of looking at how much I could take, I looked at how little I could take and still be comfortable wherever I went. I drive a semi for a living and have to plan for everything, including being excluded from many parking options. I didn't want the same challenges for my motorhome. I ended up with a bit less than 25' of Class C that allows me to operate much like a large van. I can pirate park about anywhere, park in any restaurant/grocery store/etc, and didn't give up any truly necessary amenities. Good luck with your search!

Impossible to recommend a unit that will get into anywhere. We don't have anywhere data .

We drive a 33' Bounder with decals under the drivers widow that says 30W. So far the attendants have always assumed our Bounder is 30' long. Never been declined a space any where.

rls7201 said:
We drive a 33' Bounder with decals under the drivers widow that says 30W. So far the attendants have always assumed our Bounder is 30' long. Never been declined a space any where.

Did the driver die, Rich?  :eek: ::) ;D

Quote from: rls7201 on July 19, 2017, 06:23:17 pm

Larry N. said:
Did the driver die, Rich?  :eek: ::) ;D

I guess I'm a little (or a lot) dense in the AM............I don't follow your thought process. I'm sure there is some humor in you comment but you leave me with a ? HELLLLLLLLLLLLP! :-[ :-[ :-[

rls7201 said:
Quote from: rls7201 on July 19, 2017, 06:23:17 pm

I guess I'm a little (or a lot) dense in the AM............I don't follow your thought process. I'm sure there is some humor in you comment but you leave me with a ? HELLLLLLLLLLLLP! :-[ :-[ :-[

It was put under the widow, instead of over the widow.  They would have to roll the widow up to see it if it was put under the widow instead of over.  And some of those widows are very heavy.

Larry N. said:
Sorry, Rich.

8) ::) ;D

HE HE...........Good catch. The wife and I looked for a long time and missed my spelling mistake. Thanks.

I think it comes down to what kind of camping you are planning on doing. If you park most of the time, more living space is too valuable to give up just so you can park in the odd campground. I am on my second 38ft class A, and going any smaller would not be an option for me. You camp far more than you drive. Thats why very few motorhomes have huge miles on them. Unless you are specifically planning on camping at national parks, bigger is better. Pull a toad and explore from a central location. Much less headache than trying to drive an rv around to sight see, only to return to find someone has stolen your campsite at the national park.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom