Looking to do a complete reno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breprih

I'd like to purchase a travel trailer someday. I'm hoping to find an old one for cheap and completely renovate it. I want to make it unique and personalized. My father is a master carpenter and I am enlisting him to help with the reno whoever neither of us has experience working on travel trailors.

Can you help us out with tips/tricks/any advice and things we should look out for that you have learned from experience?

Start by looking through here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?board=79.0

If the trailer is old it most likely has some structural damage do to water leaks. There tough to repair structural damage especially if they are used structural foam panel construction. I new this going into my renovation because of past experience. So I purchased a trailer destined for salvage. the trailer was only 8 years old. Basically I bought an RV trailer frame, but I had all the appliances, converter, holding tanks, windows etc. I demoed the trailer down to the frame and started over. The advantages for me were many. The trailer has no water leaks what so ever. I gained over a foot in length inside that allowed for 2 single beds, one on each side of the trailer with an isle almost the entire length of the trailer. The beds are easy to make and the mattresses are lite. There is a ton of very accessible storage under each bed. I kept the same floor plan except for the beds. I was able to rebuild things in a logical manner. By this I mean I was able to run electric and plumbing in a way that was not only more accessible but out of the way. this gained me even more storage under the frig, under the stove, beside the converter, above the furnace and under the sinks. So much so that we eliminated all the over head cabinets except over the kitchen sink. This really makes the 16 ft. x 7 ft. trailer size seam roomy and not so claustrophobic. It also eliminated hitting heads on cabinets over the beds and table. Things like the water pump, water heater, wiring connections are all accessible behind cabinet doors and aren't buried under wires or plumbing or built in behind panels that are not easily removed. I also dropped 300lbs. in trailer weight, and have real aluminum studs in the walls and around all the accesses, window and door openings. It's not a high end luxury trailer, but it does not look home built, it's lite, roomy, comfortable, dry and easy to work on if need be. And I'm a long way off the price of a new trailer that probably started leaking after being in it's first rain storm.  Hope this is an inspiration. It was a fun project and I would do it again. Good luck with yours!

Tom

tombillbob said:
If the trailer is old it most likely has some structural damage do to water leaks. There tough to repair structural damage especially if they are used structural foam panel construction. I new this going into my renovation because of past experience. So I purchased a trailer destined for salvage. the trailer was only 8 years old. Basically I bought an RV trailer frame, but I had all the appliances, converter, holding tanks, windows etc. I demoed the trailer down to the frame and started over. The advantages for me were many. The trailer has no water leaks what so ever. I gained over a foot in length inside that allowed for 2 single beds, one on each side of the trailer with an isle almost the entire length of the trailer. The beds are easy to make and the mattresses are lite. There is a ton of very accessible storage under each bed. I kept the same floor plan except for the beds. I was able to rebuild things in a logical manner. By this I mean I was able to run electric and plumbing in a way that was not only more accessible but out of the way. this gained me even more storage under the frig, under the stove, beside the converter, above the furnace and under the sinks. So much so that we eliminated all the over head cabinets except over the kitchen sink. This really makes the 16 ft. x 7 ft. trailer size seam roomy and not so claustrophobic. It also eliminated hitting heads on cabinets over the beds and table. Things like the water pump, water heater, wiring connections are all accessible behind cabinet doors and aren't buried under wires or plumbing or built in behind panels that are not easily removed. I also dropped 300lbs. in trailer weight, and have real aluminum studs in the walls and around all the accesses, window and door openings. It's not a high end luxury trailer, but it does not look home built, it's lite, roomy, comfortable, dry and easy to work on if need be. And I'm a long way off the price of a new trailer that probably started leaking after being in it's first rain storm.  Hope this is an inspiration. It was a fun project and I would do it again. Good luck with yours!

Tom

Hey Tom, we are doing something similar with our old Minnie Winnie. I would love to see interior pics if you feel inclined to share. Thanks!

Here are a few pictures during construction.

Tom

Attachments

• Siding install right side 1.jpg
    Siding install right side 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Framing new left side.jpg
    Framing new left side.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Interior wall framing 1.jpg
    Interior wall framing 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Kitchen face frames 1.jpg
    Kitchen face frames 1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Refrigerator face frame.jpg
    Refrigerator face frame.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 20
Get one with good siding and appliances. Take it completely apart AFTER measuring EVERYTHING. Have a large, flat, level area where you can build new framework, then put everything back together. Estimate about 300 hours to completion. Was going to say 100 hours, then decided to triple that. ;-)

RV companies make their money on volume, so they design for speed of assembly and low cost of parts. Watch teh Jayco youtube video and you'll see what I mean. You can easily improve on that! I'm still working on my truck camper project and having a ball remaking it the way I want it. For example: I found a new twin-bowl stainless steel sink with a simple 1.5 inch edge for $25 at Habitat. It replaces the tiny sink that came with the camper. Why not? It fits and can be covered for more counter space. I'm still working out how to repair the holes in a piece of the Aluminum siding, but that's half the fun... Total cost of my complete rebuild should come in around $400 with paint. That's because only the wood frame needed replacing.

That said: rebuild the frame in Aluminum, build very light cabinetry onto that framework, then insulate more than you think you'll ever need. There are "tons" of ideas on the Internet, so have fun with your new project!

Back
Top Bottom