alaska road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

on another forum I ask the question about the best time to go too Alaska for the best some said may or june , I would like to know the condition of the road in those month, what can I expect  to get in  during  the month of May or June

Do you figure on using only one road??>>>Dan  ( There are few roads and large areas to see,,you have little choice of roads to visit where you wish.. June and July is good advice)

May and early June may be too early, depending on how hard the previous winter was.  On our last trip we reached the Alaska state line on June 1st and some of the campgrounds and attractions were still closed.  I think they usually say the season starts about June 15th but someone else may say differently.  In any case, there aren't all that many roads.  Summer is when Alaska DOT repairs roads so you're bound to have some delays and hit some bad patches where you'll have to slow down quite a bit.  I guess it's safe to say that one doesn't go to Alaska if they want to drive full speed ahead and do it all in a couple of weeks.  It's just too big for that, plus construction delays, plus "frost heaves" that can make you bottom out and be airborne if you're going so fast you don't see it.  In other words, the pace is slower there.  But it's really a neat state to visit so enjoy your trip.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom