Fiberglass showing through paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malibu39

Quick question on my 2004 Itasca Horizon recently purchased. I've noticed that in the sunlight, the paint appears to have a very faint look of the fiberglass showing through the paint.  It looks like swirl marks almost.  Wondering if there is any remedy for this?  I didn't think much of it until I removed a sticker from the previous owner and saw underneath the sticker did not have this, so I thought I could do something to cover it up.

Thanks.

What you are seeing is called print thru.  We have dealt with it in the boating industry since they started using fiberglass.  Even with modern fabrics and resins, you can't get rid of it completely.  It is usually strictly cosmetic and doesn't affect the strength.  You can sand, use a primer-filler and then paint again, but that is a lot of work. 

As boatbuilder says, sometimes it's a sign of a low-cost paint job, meaning limited prep work (sanding and priming).  It may also be that the previous owner used a high speed power buffer and got a bit overzealous, either too coarse a polish, to much pressure on the buffer, or simply too much buffing in one place. It's easy to buff too much using a heavy duty buffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom