Adding air conditioner drain tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

On the class C I have now, there are no rain gutters down the sides. When I am level and running the A/C, I get a lot of condensate running down the awning. That's annoying to say the least. I know the easiest way to stop that is to level a bit high on the passenger's side, forcing the condensate to the driver's side. But, depending on where the condensate decides to run from there isn't always ideal either, such as right at the rear compartment door. On some class A's, I know they have A/C drain lines running down to port the condensate to a more desireable location. Is it possible to run run drain lines on any other motorhome or trailer to accomplish the same thing?

not really. That drip rail looks interesting. I don't think I have a flat spot to mount it though. I'll have to check tonight when I get home. Thanx

2012 posts on subject.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=56619.0

Thanks, I saw that earlier. I'm kinda hoping someone has some more suggestions or experience since then.

Found this:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/DometicDrainKitInstructions.pdf

Looks promising. Routing the tubing from this may be an issue though. It's made for RV's with a factory installed internal drain line. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to turn the cups around to drain externally. Or maybe make my own?

The drain system in my [now former] American Tradition actually had a small pump that extracted condensate from the pan and pushed it down a tube that ran through the roof and down the interior of the sidewall. That was on a Coleman a/c unit; the Dometic appears to rely on gravity.

Would you run tubes over the top of the roof to some more convenient spot?  Strap them down somehow?  A friend did something similar but just laid a rubber strip to channel the water run-off to an out of the way spot. He also added gutters from the middle to the back, so the channels on the roof did not have to run all the way to the back.

Yes, running tubes down the roof was what I was thinking. Maybe hold them in place with Dicor or strips of Eternabond tape. I'd probably use the Dicor first, as that would be less permanent. The channels may work also, but I would still have to level high on the passenger's side because of the crowned roof.

I would not add tubes.  My thinking is it's just another thing that will eventually plug up, and potential cause other problems.

One thought for a jurry rig...I saw a photo once somewhere of someone that ran a couple beads of caulk around to direct the flow to a chosen spot.  I wouldn't think you'd want to surround the AC with a dam of caulk, because then you'd have potential for a pond fighting against your AC gasket.... but maybe with some thought you might be able to direct the flow a bit.

But personally, I think those stick on gutter strips look the most promising

blw2 said:
I would not add tubes.  My thinking is it's just another thing that will eventually plug up, and potential cause other problems.

One thought for a jurry rig...I saw a photo once somewhere of someone that ran a couple beads of caulk around to direct the flow to a chosen spot.  I wouldn't think you'd want to surround the AC with a dam of caulk, because then you'd have potential for a pond fighting against your AC gasket.... but maybe with some thought you might be able to direct the flow a bit.

But personally, I think those stick on gutter strips look the most promising

X2......

I'd go for the gutters too. My Dolphin has gutters on it, not that kind, but they work real good. Mine has ends on them that sticks out a bit so the water doesn't run down the side of the coach. I usually leave my coach down just a shade in the nose so the water runs to the front.

My Journey has tubes that run from each ac to come down beside the radiator out of sight. They use a "filter" tip that precludes bugs entering. The tips clog once or twice a year, but just pinching them restarts the flow. As far as I know there is no pump.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom