EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Wifi Range Extender  (Read 281 times)

Danette

Wifi Range Extender
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
I'm in an rv park with a weak wifi signal. Was told a wifi range extender would do the trick. Problem:  Anyone know how to hook up a netgear wifi range extender since I obviously do not have access to the router.... ????

amos

Re: Wifi Range Extender
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
Perhaps I can be of assistance a bit: First,connect to your netgear extender with a ethernet cable and type in: www.mywifiext.net.

You should get a login screen. Let me know if this helps.
"No matter how far you go...there you are"

oldsloan

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »
The Netgear extender is good but a bit finicky on startup. If you don't want to fool with (or don't have) an ethernet cable, keep trying the online wizard. Eventually it will recognize your device. TIP - plug the extender into a wall socket right by your router to start off, then move it farther away when you get a connection. Hope that helps!

By the way, I'm having better luck with the device mentioned in this review, which lets me (a) access the campground wireless signal for free and (b) allows me to amplify my cell phone signal wirelessly to all my devices if I just can't get online any other way.

http://bluemountainreviews.com/rv-park-wifi-booster-whats-the-best/

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
Do you already own the Netgear device, or are you still contemplating the purchase?  If you have one, what model?

There are plenty of enhanced wifi devices besides that one, and you may just need a more powerful wifi receiver/antenna if all you want to do is have better wifi on a laptop PC.  In most cases your devices are receiving the park wifi OK, but don't have the broadcast power to talk back to the park's base station. However, it is sometimes the case that the wifi is working just fine and the problem is congestion and/or lack of sufficient internet access capacity at the parks server. No extender can help that.

Basically an extender is just a fairly powerful radio that receives the park wifi signal and re-broadcasts it locally. You configure it to connect to the wifi signal you want to use and it does the rest.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »
Keep in mind that while a good WiFi extender or repeater will boost the signal level your computer sees and sends, it will NOT improve the Internet data speed when it's limited by other park residents overloading the available bandwidth.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
Most RV forums recommend the Wi-Fi Ranger system.. This consists of an outdoor unit and an indoor unit connected by LAN (Cat-5 or 6) Cable   The outdoor unit may be able to work as a repeater all by itself but the two units (the indoor unit is a common wi-fi Router modified to power the outdoor unit) is best.

I use a Common home router (I have Belkin, do not recommend Belikin,, It will not be replaced by another Belkin when it fails)  and a Ubiquiti (UBNT) Nano station for the outdoor module.

I was seriously impressed with the Nano-Station when I first plugged it in.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
I have A Netgear WIFI extender and it does just that, extends the WiFi signal when I place it halfway between my router and computer. Problem in a campground is that you usually cannot place it halfway to the router.

Hosted by Over The Network