Wifi Range Extender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danette

I'm in an rv park with a weak wifi signal. Was told a wifi range extender would do the trick. Problem:  Anyone know how to hook up a netgear wifi range extender since I obviously do not have access to the router.... ????

Perhaps I can be of assistance a bit: First,connect to your netgear extender with a ethernet cable and type in: www.mywifiext.net.

You should get a login screen. Let me know if this helps.

The Netgear extender is good but a bit finicky on startup. If you don't want to fool with (or don't have) an ethernet cable, keep trying the online wizard. Eventually it will recognize your device. TIP - plug the extender into a wall socket right by your router to start off, then move it farther away when you get a connection. Hope that helps!

By the way, I'm having better luck with the device mentioned in this review, which lets me (a) access the campground wireless signal for free and (b) allows me to amplify my cell phone signal wirelessly to all my devices if I just can't get online any other way.

http://bluemountainreviews.com/rv-park-wifi-booster-whats-the-best/

Do you already own the Netgear device, or are you still contemplating the purchase?  If you have one, what model?

There are plenty of enhanced wifi devices besides that one, and you may just need a more powerful wifi receiver/antenna if all you want to do is have better wifi on a laptop PC.  In most cases your devices are receiving the park wifi OK, but don't have the broadcast power to talk back to the park's base station. However, it is sometimes the case that the wifi is working just fine and the problem is congestion and/or lack of sufficient internet access capacity at the parks server. No extender can help that.

Basically an extender is just a fairly powerful radio that receives the park wifi signal and re-broadcasts it locally. You configure it to connect to the wifi signal you want to use and it does the rest.

Keep in mind that while a good WiFi extender or repeater will boost the signal level your computer sees and sends, it will NOT improve the Internet data speed when it's limited by other park residents overloading the available bandwidth.

Most RV forums recommend the Wi-Fi Ranger system.. This consists of an outdoor unit and an indoor unit connected by LAN (Cat-5 or 6) Cable  The outdoor unit may be able to work as a repeater all by itself but the two units (the indoor unit is a common wi-fi Router modified to power the outdoor unit) is best.

I use a Common home router (I have Belkin, do not recommend Belikin,, It will not be replaced by another Belkin when it fails)  and a Ubiquiti (UBNT) Nano station for the outdoor module.

I was seriously impressed with the Nano-Station when I first plugged it in.

I have A Netgear WIFI extender and it does just that, extends the WiFi signal when I place it halfway between my router and computer. Problem in a campground is that you usually cannot place it halfway to the router.

I bought this from Radio Labs. It was a bit pricey at 259.95, but it works awesome! I'm about 1/4 mile from the Campground antenna, and this picks it up at full signal strength.
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/USB-Omni-Repeater-client.php

I have the antenna sitting in the corner of my dash (inside) and the repeater sits right next to it. I like it because it really pulls in the signal, and repeats it through the coach. I have it set up as a new network. My neighbors love it too because now they can have wifi as well. You can password protect the connection if you wanted. You can also mount it outside if needed.

I'm fortunate as our RV Park has unlimited bandwidth. The ISP has a tower on the parks land, at that's part of the deal. Unlimited unbridled internet.

Your Netgear wifi extender will need to connect to the campgrounds router to extend the signal.
As someone pointed out to configure the box you need to connect to the network wifi extender then run the mywifiext.net as someone pointed out, the goal is to connect to the campground router. The issue is the Netgear has to have a decent signal to the campground router, if reception is already bad in RV, the extender will also have a bad connection . The extender needs to be installed where it has sufficient signal to the campground router
This reminds me of the VPN topic.

On those rare occasions when we bother trying a park's WiFi system, we use a Pepwave Surf Mini On-The-Go WiFi/cell repeater router. It's located at the front of our coach, with an external antenna on the roof connected in place of the standard inside antenna. It works quite well repeating WiFi signals, but mostly we use it as a cell hotspot router.

Back
Top Bottom