Towing Empty - bounces all over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportra

Hi - we are fairly new to this (or new again).  When we tow our little trailer (Prowler Lynx 18LX) when it is full - it pulls like a dream with our Dodge Ram 1500.  When the trailer is empty (no fresh, grey, or black water), it seems to "bounce" behind us.  Is this normal?  It really is only a problem for us when going from the dump station to the house after a trip, but is very strange feeling.

Any thoughts?

Not normal, but not all that unusual either.  The trailer probably does not have shock absorbers on the springs, so a bump can make a lightly loaded trailer bounce, perhaps multiple times.  It's common on empty utility trailers and empty tow dollies, but not so common on empty RVs.

The trailer may also be light on tongue (hitch) weight when mostly empty. This can result in the trailer yanking upward on the hitch ball, perhaps followed by a downward plunge (sometimes called trailer "bucking").  That might be called bouncing as well.

Thanks - I'll check tire pressure.  Bucking is a good description.  The trailer is light on the tongue weight - the bed is in front and it's just a little thing anyways.  I'll try to pack a little more on in the front when I know we'll be emptying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom