Where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt1975

A little background about myself. I am single w/ a dog. I was in a bad accident last year and wasn't able to work. Because of that, I lost my apartment. (Need a job to rent) So I traveled a bit for about 6 months. I'm currently living in Florida and renting a RV from my buddy. It's parked on his property; I'm not driving it anywhere. Because of my accident, I am on SSDI. My plan over the next 6-12 months is to trade in my car for a truck and RV. As far as income goes, I have started a freelance writing business. I just started but hopefully in the next 6 months I will have a reliable income stream.

I figured a Class A RV would be too expensive; especially if something happens to the engine. That's why I am leaning towards getting a truck and RV; both used. I'm looking for a RV w/ a bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom/shower and a separate area I can call my office. Other than that, I am pretty open to anything.

I have a few starter questions. How expensive is this going to be? I'm not looking for bells and whistles. I won't be staying at Good Sam places because I think they are overrated and too expensive. I rented a cabin at a RV park in Colorado last summer and I remember seeing rates for $300/mo to park the RV. Is that reasonable? It was a nice park and I'd definitely stay there again.

Can you buy an used RV for under $20K? Are the loans considered 5 year loans like cars? Or do they let you finance it over 10 years or something along those lines? What about insurance? How long do RV's typically last? Ideally, I'd like to buy something that I know would last 10 years. I enjoy travelling and I had a blast last summer out west. I've been living in a RV since January so I know it's not "something I need to try out" to see if I'll enjoy the experience.

Any feedback is appreciated! I know I'll have a lot more questions along the way so thanks for any input!

I can't speak much about towables, but given a budget of $20,000 I would consider a motorhome, here is why.  Most towables will need either a recent model 1/2 ton truck with a HD towing package or a older 3/4 ton truck.  (The most recent F150's with HD option have towing capacities nearly as high as my old 2000 model superduty F250), while there are half ton towable trailers out there, they do tend to be "lite" models which I feel are too flimsy for sustained travel.  This puts all recent model truck options in the $25,000+ ballpark (looking at local used ads for V8 1/2 ton with HD towing or 3/4 ton trucks less than 5 years old), then of course you have to buy a travel trailer.  Compare this to the motorhome market where for $20,000 you can find a nice older gasoline powered coach in this budget range, with some shopping you can find a high quality, well maintained and updated 12-15 year old class a motorhome in the sub 32 foot length range with under 75,000 miles on it, that originally sold in the $100,000+ price range.

FL RV said:
I rented a cabin at a RV park in Colorado last summer and I remember seeing rates for $300/mo to park the RV. Is that reasonable? It was a nice park and I'd definitely stay there again.

I have never seen a campground with sites for $10.00 a night. Not that they're not out there but I'm sure if there are, I wouldn't want to stay in them. Maybe there are places like that out in the desert.  IMHO, You can probably plan to pay in the $20.00 to $25.00 a day range.

Isaac-1 said:
I can't speak much about towables, but given a budget of $20,000 I would consider a motorhome, here is why.  Most towables will need either a recent model 1/2 ton truck with a HD towing package or a older 3/4 ton truck.  (The most recent F150's with HD option have towing capacities nearly as high as my old 2000 model superduty F250), while there are half ton towable trailers out there, they do tend to be "lite" models which I feel are too flimsy for sustained travel.  This puts all recent model truck options in the $25,000+ ballpark (looking at local used ads for V8 1/2 ton with HD towing or 3/4 ton trucks less than 5 years old), then of course you have to buy a travel trailer.  Compare this to the motorhome market where for $20,000 you can find a nice older gasoline powered coach in this budget range, with some shopping you can find a high quality, well maintained and updated 12-15 year old class a motorhome in the sub 32 foot length range with under 75,000 miles on it, that originally sold in the $100,000+ price range.

Good information, thanks! A motor home is definitely an option but I was thinking w/ the extra engine along w/ the car, there can be problems.  I didn't realize I could get a good deal on those. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Rene T said:
I have never seen a campground with sites for $10.00 a night. Not that they're not out there but I'm sure if there are, I wouldn't want to stay in them. Maybe there are places like that out in the desert.  IMHO, You can probably plan to pay in the $20.00 to $25.00 a day range.

The place I was staying was off the beaten path but it was very nice and clean. Had Wi-Fi, cable, showers, bathrooms and laundry all on site. Maybe it was $300 for 2 weeks. I know when I saw the price, I thought it was a good price.

Places to stay for less are out there. They don't spend on advertisement, so you just have to stumble across them. Or get word through networking. Ask around.

One I know of near me is $20 a night or $100 a week. The kicker is it's an hour from anything you would want to do. It's just west of Atlanta, GA.

Whether you consider a second engine as "another thing that can fail" or "backup for when the other fails" will factor into your choice of trailer or self-propelled RV. Either way, look at this as shopping for a house, not a vehicle. You will be living in it way more than you will be driving it.

Adding sides to an awning, or getting a 12'x12' screened freestanding awning will expand the living space on the cheap.

I wish you best of luck in your search.

FL RV said:
Good information, thanks! A motor home is definitely an option but I was thinking w/ the extra engine along w/ the car, there can be problems.  I didn't realize I could get a good deal on those. I will check it out. Thanks again.

The kicker on deals on motorhomes of this vintage is few lending institutions will offer vehicle loans on RV's over about 10-12 years of age, as a result there is a  sharp drop in the depreciation curve around this age, as the number of potential buyers drops to those with cash on hand or alternative financing options.    Having said that some people have been able to get loans, mostly through credit unions where they have established relationships.    I am financing my 2002 Safari Trek through a local bank, paid $20,500 for it (well updated with over $10,000 worth of parts added by the previous owner since 2014), financed for 4 years with 10% down, but it is a local bank that I have a substantial relationship with.

Isaac-1 said:
The kicker on deals on motorhomes of this vintage is few lending institutions will offer vehicle loans on RV's over about 10-12 years of age, as a result there is a  sharp drop in the depreciation curve around this age, as the number of potential buyers drops to those with cash on hand or alternative financing options.    Having said that some people have been able to get loans, mostly through credit unions where they have established relationships.    I am financing my 2002 Safari Trek through a local bank, paid $20,500 for it (well updated with over $10,000 worth of parts added by the previous owner since 2014), financed for 4 years with 10% down, but it is a local bank that I have a substantial relationship with.

This is why I joined a local credit union about 3 months ago. After having an account for 6 months, you automatically qualify for a credit card through the credit union. I'm hoping after I am with them for a year or so, they will work with me on getting a loan.

Stephen S. said:
Places to stay for less are out there. They don't spend on advertisement, so you just have to stumble across them. Or get word through networking. Ask around.

One I know of near me is $20 a night or $100 a week. The kicker is it's an hour from anything you would want to do. It's just west of Atlanta, GA.

Whether you consider a second engine as "another thing that can fail" or "backup for when the other fails" will factor into your choice of trailer or self-propelled RV. Either way, look at this as shopping for a house, not a vehicle. You will be living in it way more than you will be driving it.

Adding sides to an awning, or getting a 12'x12' screened freestanding awning will expand the living space on the cheap.

I wish you best of luck in your search.

Thanks. One thing I am thinking of doing is buying a cheap parcel of land in Colorado or Wyoming to live in the summer. Then during the colder months, go down to Florida.

Rene T said:

My son pays $500 a month, $16.66 per day, but he has metered electric and pays his own WIFI.

Oldgator73 said:
My son pays $500 a month, $16.66 per day, but he has metered electric and pays his own WIFI.

If the CG provided those amentaties, it would be up in the $20.00  +  Range

Rene T said:
If the CG provided those amentaties, it would be up in the $20.00  +  Range

Yes it would. Somebody mentioned these parks being in the middle nowhere; my son's IS the middle of nowhere.

While I'm not sure of the relative expense between a Small Class A and a small trailer or medium trailer.

I can tell you thiis

When I drive, as I did to the store, 25-30 MPG on my older Car is quite possible..

Computer said the MH did only 10 (Average) and likely less this AM.

Also, when I am going down the road and feel the need for... A rest area... I'm not getting wet.

FL RV said:
Thanks. One thing I am thinking of doing is buying a cheap parcel of land in Colorado or Wyoming to live in the summer. Then during the colder months, go down to Florida.

If you are considering this route you may want to consider a small parcel of "winter" property in Texas and establish Texas as your domicile state as there are certain benefits like no state income tax.  It seems most snow bird RV owners opt for the extreme southern tip of Texas for wintering, but there are still any number of places along the Texas gulf coast, and inland 75-100 miles that have fairly mild winter conditions 80-90% of the time most years.  I live in western Louisiana near the Texas state line, about a hundred miles inland and in a typical year we rarely have winter temperatures much below freezing, often with the daytime highs in the 60's or 70's, very rarely hitting 80 between Nov - March.  Snow is this stuff that we see a few flakes of some years, and coats the ground once per decade for a few hours.  The all time record low here is 13F, although the coldest I can remember was 18F or 19F about 15 years ago, and lows in the mid 20's happen a night or two every 2 or 3 years.  By contrast if you find a spot within 20-25 miles of the coast temperatures below freezing are rare and almost never last more than a few hours.

Take a look at RVTrader.com and you will get to see what used RVs might fit your budget.  There are filters there that you can set, e.g. max price $15,000.  I think you will have the most luck finding an older Class C to meet a constrained budget.  As an example, I sold my 2009 31' Coachman Santara Class C (with no slideouts) for ~$12,000 and it was in very serviceable condition.

Good luck!

Joel

JoelP said:
Take a look at RVTrader.com and you will get to see what used RVs might fit your budget.  There are filters there that you can set, e.g. max price $15,000.  I think you will have the most luck finding an older Class C to meet a constrained budget.  As an example, I sold my 31' Coachman Santara Class C (with no slideouts) for ~$12,000 and it was in very serviceable condition.

Good luck!

Joel

Sweet. Got another one laying around? LOL.

Isaac-1 said:
If you are considering this route you may want to consider a small parcel of "winter" property in Texas and establish Texas as your domicile state as there are certain benefits like no state income tax.  It seems most snow bird RV owners opt for the extreme southern tip of Texas for wintering, but there are still any number of places along the Texas gulf coast, and inland 75-100 miles that have fairly mild winter conditions 80-90% of the time most years.  I live in western Louisiana near the Texas state line, about a hundred miles inland and in a typical year we rarely have winter temperatures much below freezing, often with the daytime highs in the 60's or 70's, very rarely hitting 80 between Nov - March.  Snow is this stuff that we see a few flakes of some years, and coats the ground once per decade for a few hours.  The all time record low here is 13F, although the coldest I can remember was 18F or 19F about 15 years ago, and lows in the mid 20's happen a night or two every 2 or 3 years.  By contrast if you find a spot within 20-25 miles of the coast temperatures below freezing are rare and almost never last more than a few hours.

Thanks for the reply. I've lived in Florida the past 10 years. My general plan is CO/WY from April til September then go to the North East and see family up there for the holidays and then down to FL til March/April. It's not set in stone of course but that's the general idea for now.

FL RV said:
Thanks for the reply. I've lived in Florida the past 10 years. My general plan is CO/WY from April til September then go to the North East and see family up there for the holidays and then down to FL til March/April. It's not set in stone of course but that's the general idea for now.

I hope you get to do it. Sounds like fun.

You can get what you want in a used truck and used Lance ten foot camper. It's small, but you can drive and park it anywhere you're truck will go.

Back
Top Bottom