Where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FL RV said:
I see the UF Gator! I'm south of Gainesville in a small town called Reddick.

We are actually from Daytona Beach. After I retired from the AF I used my GI Bill and completed a bachelors degree at UF.

Phew! Lot's of different opinions here!  I'll probably add to the confusion...

I would choose truck & trailer over a motorhome for this scenario. Keeping the house and the vehicle separate makes good sense to me in this case.

$20,000 doesn't buy a lot of truck and trailer, but there are certainly some out there. Decent pick-up trucks are in high demand and prices stay high, plus you need a hefty size truck for any but the more modest trailers. A half-ton truck is good for maybe an 8000 lb travel trailer (typical weight for around 26 ft). That much trailer is probably adequate for one person, though doesn't give a lot of room for comfort and a convenient size bath.

A $300/month "nice" campground is probably rare, but in regions where year-around parks are common the monthly price is lower than more seasonal climates.  At $300, you would no doubt pay extra for everything, e.g. electric and internet. $400 begins top get more likely, and often nicer places run $600/month and up if they include the price of power and amenities. Last year we paid $860/month for a lovely spot with all amenities in a popular area. So the range is probably something like $400-$950, with wide variation for region/climate, popularity, and amenities provided.

When you finance a loan, how long are the loans? Is it considered a house (for tax purposes) if you live in it?

I know RV's can be considered a vacation home for tax write off reasons, not sure what the law is on permanent residence.    On average finance terms are more house like, often in the 10-15 year range, however there are those of us that opt for shorter terms, I am paying off my $20,000 loan over 4 years, which put my payments on par with those financing a $100,000+ RV on longer terms.

Instead of a truck, you might consider a used commercial cargo van as a tow vehicle. 

A cargo van will have the same tow capacity as the comparable chassis truck, but cost substantially less money. Browse Craigslist and Cargurus.com.  Lots of them out there in various configurations, including factory tow packages. Getting one that was fleet maintained, so has all the maintenance records, is also a plus.

Likely won't be as comfortable as truck or have quite as many creature comforts, but is probably more practical in the long run for your situation.

There is always the other way around, get a motorhome and tow a cheap car, almost all manual transmissions cars can be towed 4 wheels down with minimal modification.  $15,000 for the motorhome, and $5,000 for a basic car already set up for towing 4 down (there have been 3 cars set up for towing 4 down listed on the IRV2 classifieds in the last 30 days, and another 3-4 under $6,000, as always asking and selling may not be the same thing)

p.s. I just googled monthly rates for a few places near here, SW LA / SE TX

Place 1, highway side commercial rv park has club house,some cabins, plus some outdoor activities in middle of nowhere east Texas $400 30 amp hookup $450 50 amp (daily is $30 per day) no mention of electric billed separate

Place 2 State ran recreation area in central Louisiana on a lake, ran by the Dept of Agriculture $270 per month electric and water, dump stations at exit, kicker is monthly is only in the winter off season Nov - March, 14 day stay limit the rest of the year, but daily rate starts at $22

Isaac-1 said:
There is always the other way around, get a motorhome and tow a cheap car, almost all manual transmissions cars can be towed 4 wheels down with minimal modification.  $15,000 for the motorhome, and $5,000 for a basic car already set up for towing 4 down (there have been 3 cars set up for towing 4 down listed on the IRV2 classifieds in the last 30 days, and another 3-4 under $6,000, as always asking and selling may not be the same thing)

p.s. I just googled monthly rates for a few places near here, SW LA / SE TX

Place 1, highway side commercial rv park has club house,some cabins, plus some outdoor activities in middle of nowhere east Texas $400 30 amp hookup $450 50 amp (daily is $30 per day) no mention of electric billed separate

Place 2 State ran recreation area in central Louisiana on a lake, ran by the Dept of Agriculture $270 per month electric and water, dump stations at exit, kicker is monthly is only in the winter off season Nov - March, 14 day stay limit the rest of the year, but daily rate starts at $22

Let's not forget the cost of a tow bar, baseplate installation, and auxiliary brake controller, plus possible sales tax.  You better budget that RV to be closer to $10K that $15K, and that doesn't allow for any other repairs.

I already have a car. It's a 2008 Nissan Altima w/ 60K miles on it. All things considered, I'd rather keep it since it already has low mileage for its age.  My biggest concern about a motor home is if something happens to the engine that needs a week or 2 to fix.  That's really the only reason I'm considering trading in the car for a truck and buying the separate RV.

My only reason for suggesting purchasing a car set up for 4 down towing with a motorhome is that the cost to convert an existing car can be $2,500 or more, plus not all cars can be towed 4 down.

Is your car a std transmission?  If not you will likely need a tow dolly.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2008.pdf

JoelP said:
Is your car a std transmission?  If not you will likely need a tow dolly.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2008.pdf

Yea it looks like I can't tow the car.

I'm glad I'm not rushing into this.  :D

Back
Top Bottom