how much air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I had my class c weight overall weigh is 12240 the steer axle weigh is 4320 and the drive axle eight is 7920 should I inflate my tire to the max, if not were can I find out the amount of air to put in them.

Since you apparently know the individual axle weights, check the tire manufacturer's web site for the tire inflation chart for your specific tires. Halve the individual axle weights to estimate the weight on individual tires (divide by 4 for duallies on the rear), and add maybe 10-15% to account for side-to-side weight differences.

Note that the tire inflation charts will show 2 different inflation pressures for the same weight; One will be for single tires (as on the front) and the other will be for tires that are one half of a dually.

Apparently all manufacturers don't publish those numbers for all sizes

I was told by an engineer (or tech support) at Yokohama, that the numbers that Michelin publishes are universal standards that are issued by the Tire and Rim Assoc. and they apply to all tires.

take that with a grain of salt....I'm only repeating what I was told

google search for Michelin load and inflation tables

Interesting Brad, I hadn't heard that one. Presumably "universal standards" refers to tires with comparable load ratings  ???

TonyDtorch said:
on the drivers door jam on a sticker it will say.

Uh, NO, it will not.. That pressure assumes a "Standard" amount of cargo and passangers.  Something you almost never see "in the wild"

The only way to know is to scale the wheels.. Get your "4 corner" weights and go to the tire maker's web site and read the charts. I like to add 5 PSI.

The inflation pressure on the door jam is for gross weight when equipped with the original tires. Not a bad starting point until you have actual loads.

Ernie

There is no official "universal standard" inflation table, but The Tire & Rubber Association's standards for tire construction and safety lead to essentially the same capability is every tire of the same size & type.  The manufacturers share their testing and such thru the Association and work together to establish safety standards.  That means the inflation tables for any given brand, type and size of tire are essentially identical, so yes you can safely use one for a different brand as long as the type and size are the same.  Bias ply is different radial construction, LT different than ST or P types, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom