Towing a Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

Motorhome: 2015 Southwind 34A

I am about to purchase a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (the 4 door model) to flat tow with my Southwind. I'm asking for any comments/opinions/experiences towing a Jeep.
My understanding is that nothing has to be done to the Jeep to make it towable except adding the base plate and braking and light systems. I currently tow a Ford Ranger so I have all the parts that attach to the motorhome.

Thanks,
John

We tow a 2014 unlimited and you are correct not much to do. Hook it up, (If automatic) place 4 wheel drive in neutral, place trans in park, turn off motor and disconnect ground wire on battery, 10MM socket, turn key to on position, make sure steering wheel turns freely and your good to go. I am not sure on the manual shift better read your owners manual. Have fun.
Ray

We tow our 2004 Jeep with our 32' Class C. No problems at all. You don't even know that it's there. Like Raylc says, 4 wheel in neutral, and trans in park. After practicing a few times, you'll hook and unhook in about 5 minutes.

Be careful you don't get the wrong Jeep; there are some now that can't be towed (JKU should be fine). Otherwise its just as simple as  described. We have never disconnected the battery and run two or three days without pronlems (just did three days and 1, 000 miles that way).

Ernie

My understanding is only 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wranglers need to have the key left on to unlock the steering wheel. Later models no longer have a steering lock.

Welcome to the Forum!

This is a two year old thread.  You will get better results starting a new thread.

I AM NOT THE EXPERT, but my understanding is to load it on the dolly, put the 4 WD shifter in neutral and go.

IF the dolly rotates on a pin between the front wheels, lock the steering column.
IF the dolly DOES NOT TURN, the steer wheels must be free to turn - unlock the column.
This is dependent on the style of dolly, not the vehicle being towed.

DO NOT TRUST ME.  CHECK YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL!!

We flat tow a '15 Wrangler JK, and the manual state NOT to dolly tow. But you can if you remove the rear driveshaft.
And without knowing which transmission you have things might change.
Best to do some research first.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/towing-my-jk-on-a-tow-dolly-1961810.html

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/dolly-towing-586817.html

Good luck, and welcome.

Corky

Per Remco Towing:  The 6 cylinder Wrangler for 2000 is towable either 4-down or dolly, whether automatic or manual. Put the transfer case in neutral. Your Jeep owner manual should have all the details.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

Don't know anything about this site, but it offers a Wrangler owner manual in pdf format.
http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=TJ

Gary,

You are just as good at responding to questions as ever.

Do you have someone typing for you?

I do not think I could sit up and type this soon after my bypass surgery.

gerohan said:
how do i tow a 2000 tj jeep wrangler(4x4) on a tow dolly? help please....

We flat tow a '03 TJ.  Why would you want to mess with a dolly?  I use an old fashioned, straight tow bar, and it takes all of 5 minutes to hook the Jeep up and be gone.  Less time to unhook at the campsite, and I don't have to figure out where to put the dolly after the Jeep is unloaded.

gerohan said:
how do i tow a 2000 tj jeep wrangler(4x4) on a tow dolly? help please....

you do not. 4x4 jeeps can not be dolly towed (per owner's manual) now if the transfer case is manual (Not full time 4wd or automatic transfer) you may be able to tow 4 down. but you can not tow them on a dolly... per JEEP (At least all the ones I've checked out).

I have had about 6 different Jeeps and none were towable on a dolly. Jeep did make a few 2 WD vehicles a while back that may have been able to be dolly towed. Flat tow is easy and usually cheaper than buying and maintaining a tow dolly.  If the trans is an automatic it gets placed in Park, if a standard trans put the gear shift in any gear. This keeps the trans from spinning and wearing out the gears. 

This confuses me. I have 2010 Jeep Wrangler automatic. The manual tells me the sequence for towing it, never says I can't put it on a dolly. I asked the service department and they seen no issue of using a dolly. I would appreciate any help, thanks.

DO NOT TRUST THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT with questions like this.  Read the manual, contact Remco, or contact FCA (Jeep) Unfortunately service departments seem to want to give you whatever answer that comes to mind.

Ed

^^^them two posts are giving you good advice^^^ Check with Remco. Flat towing is a lot better than a dolly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom