EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: What insulation under vinyl plank floor???  (Read 431 times)

Greyhauler

• ---
What insulation under vinyl plank floor???
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
Removing all carpet and old vinyl from 08 Hurricane. Floor just behind driver and passenger seat get real warm from exhaust heat coming through floor. Any suggestions or what have others used? Plan on installing quality vinyl plank flooring. Thanks in advance.

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Re: What insulation under vinyl plank floor???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »
I used an underlayment that came in a roll and was both an insulator and sound deadener.

I will look up the post and give you the link in a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,69841.msg636238.html#msg636238
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:18:39 PM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:26:56 PM »
I would install an aluminum radiant barrier under any insulation or underlayment.  It will reflect heat back down away from the living space, it works great in home building to keep attic summer heat build up from penetration down into the living space
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
I would get under the RV and see if there is a space between the exhaust and the floor. If there is, I would put a piece of sheet metal between the pipe and the floor. Also shim it with washers so there's a air space allowing air to remove any heat penetrating the sheet metal.
Or I would go to a auto parts store and I would think they would have something similar to asbestos to wrap the pipe. You can hold it on with hose clamps.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:02:57 AM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Greyhauler

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
Thank you all! Thinking of some type of insulation but not sure, suggestions really help. Friend has muffler shop, going to see if there are any clamp on shield for exhaust that will for on the 3-4 feet that's causing problem. Would post pics but only have limited tablet. Thanks again.

Greyhauler

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
Started removing old carpet and bad OSB floor. Bummed out when found much of the floor not insulated by Thor- 4 Winds, disappointed. Some is half way insulated with styrofoam panels not fitted to to space other spaces completely empty. No conduit for wiring or such, just really p poor construction. Spray foam insulation may be answer.
Using metal faced bubble wrap insulation under new floor.

Outdoorfunguy85

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Removing all carpet and old vinyl from 08 Hurricane. Floor just behind driver and passenger seat get real warm from exhaust heat coming through floor. Any suggestions or what have others used? Plan on installing quality vinyl plank flooring. Thanks in advance.

If it's a vinyl, contact www.gatorwraps.com. They have the quality vinyl wraps. They also wrap all kinds of crazy things and lettering decals.

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:48:20 PM »
I think the OP was referring to Vinyl flooring instead of graphics.

I could however be wrong.

Welcome to the Forum Outdoorfunguy.

By the way, I often miss some key part of a post.  IN this case I did not really realize that engine heat was a part of his concern.  My coach has a rear engine and the only heat I get up front would be from the generator and it does not put out much and rarely runs when going down the road.

Mostly do not let missing something minor like this keep you from posting
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:19:37 AM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

Greyhauler

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
???? On Gatorwrap. Concern is heat from exhaust through floor. Now finding really crappy workmanship, poor design and lame construction. Hueypilot, welcome home brother!

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 06:41:22 PM »
"Welcome Home", is a very common salutation between Vietnam Veterans.

The phrase contains a lot of unsaid things and a bond between Nam Vets.

"Welcome Home" to you also Bud.

I was in the middle of the Delta for 2 tours in 69 and 70 at Vinh Long with the 7th of the 1st Cav.  Our callsign was "Blackhawk" .

This was many years before the Blackhawk helicopter was in service.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

Greyhauler

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »
Huey pilot, Long Binh, Vung Tau, Bearcat, Binh Hoa, and MACV Siagon in 72. Stationed in Long Binh with USARV , repaired everything that moved, wheel and track.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
Huey pilot, Long Binh, Vung Tau, Bearcat, Binh Hoa, and MACV Siagon in 72. Stationed in Long Binh with USARV , repaired everything that moved, wheel and track.

For the first 6 months in country, I was in a place called Phuloi near Long Binh and  Binh Hoa. The last 6 months, I spent it a  fire base camp called Katum. 8 miles from Cambodia, 15 miles from any American and built on the Ho Chi Min trail. I was in the artillery at that time, 3rd Bat,  6/15 Artillery. 105 howitzers. We had 2 guns at this camp. We had a small group a Special Forces with us and Cambodian families built right into the bunker line perimeter.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Greyhauler

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
Welcome home Rene T. Our unit had last M-88 tank retriever operated by GIs in RVN. We recovered two T-54s from An Loc, think one is at Abererdeen Proving Grounds, the other Marvin the Arvin shot about 20 times with LAWs, displayed in Saigon. Thoses were the days.

Hosted by Over The Network