Water coming in on the right passenger slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raylc

We are having a continuing problem. This started last fall in Va. we are now in GA and I am thinking it is coming from hard rain. We set up for a week or so and it rains at some point. When we get ready to move on and activate the passenger front slide we get water dumping on the floor. We  only get it there as it pours out from under the kitchen cabinets. it is not coming through the ceiling. I do not think it is plumbing as we never see any water no matter how long we stay in one spot until we pull the side in. Any ideals? Thanks for your help.

Just  to clear up a few things we have not used our MH except in our move to TX since last fall. I don't recall seeing water when we operated the slide unless it had rained but not certain. We have a 2012 Winnebago Tour. Thanks

With the slide extended, get on a ladder and check the seals along the top of the slide and the sides. Even with seals in perfect condition, driving rain at a particular angle could ingress (but this is fairly rare.) I say this assuming your leak problem is due to rain and not plumbing.

I know life sometimes gets in the way of doing things we enjoy but it's really not a good idea to let your Tour sit unused for months - use it or lose it.

Sounds to me like water collected on the topper and/or the slide roof is running down the end of the slide as you bring it in. I have had water leaks at the bottom corners of both of my slides in that situation. It can be difficult to figure out exactly where it comes through the seal as it can sometimes run along a ledge or something else from one point to another where you actually see it.  I have learned to check the front slide top for standing water after it is stowed ...it is a real shock to get cold water down my neck when braking!!!

For standing water above, some folks try lifting the jacks higher on the front or rear before bringing the slides in to help the water run off.

John Canfield said:
With the slide extended, get on a ladder and check the seals along the top of the slide and the sides. Even with seals in perfect condition, driving rain at a particular angle could ingress (but this is fairly rare.) I say this assuming your leak problem is due to rain and not plumbing.

I know life sometimes gets in the way of doing things we enjoy but it's really not a good idea to let your Tour sit unused for months - use it or lose it.

John,
Thanks for the info. It is raining now so I will get a ladder out to take a look after the rain stops. Could this also becoming from the ac drain run off? The last trip we used it was in February when we moved from MT to TX. It didn't rain during that short 3 day period and we had no water come in. We store it in an enclosed RV garage so it doesn't see rain or water unless we wash it or use it in the rain. Could it also be plumbing even though we never see water when we are parked for up to 2 weeks at a time?

afchap said:
Sounds to me like water collected on the topper and/or the slide roof is running down the end of the slide as you bring it in. ..
Thanks for mentioning that Paul, that's a real possibility for the OP.

I think the 2012 Tour has roof airs? I have no idea where the drains are plumbed though.

Plumbing - at first I discounted this as a possibility but you probably have plumbing on a slide and motion could possibly cause an intermittent leak but I think this would be a long shot. Anyway first order is a good seal inspection around the entire opening.

I wouldn't rule out plumbing either - your Dishwasher supply and drain, ice maker feed, filtered water feed, sink, all with lots of water fittings and tubing under that cupboard.  It would be more of a fine spray or slow drip to collect water in undetectable pools like that under the cupboard.  A major leak you would see quickly.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how water from rain would get under that cupboard, and I think the folks above are on the right track- side seals or diversion from a roof seal. I'm assuming you have slide toppers so its somewhat difficult for water to directly enter from the upper seal.

The AC pumped condensate drains run in vinyl tubing down the plastic return air duct.  Starting from Zone 3 in the front, the tubing runs back and Zone 2 and 1 T-tap into that line.  On mine, the exit point is the right rear, just inside of the bumper.  I can't see the tubing where it discharges, I just know its there from the water collection. 

John and Brad,
You are correct my drain line for the AC drains off the rear also but I didn't know that the three lines tied in together thanks for that info. I also think it is rain and not plumbing even though there are a lot water lines in the slide we never see anything until we bring the slide in. I would think after staying somewhere for up to two weeks if there was a leak we would see something. I also inspected the bottom of the slide as well and it is clean from stains and seems sealed tight. As you know the slide has an awning over it but is open on each end. Also that is the only slide we have this issue with. There are no stains on any ceiling anywhere either. How will I inspect the seal on top of the slide with the awning in place? That slide is quite long somewhere around 16' +-

Ray, you should have a little baffle-door just inside the microwave vent, up high on the outside of that slide. That little door opens when the microwave fan is turned on, and it's supposed to close under its own weight when the fan is off. Is there any chance it's stuck in the open position? That vent is right over those cabinets and if rain got inside, it might drain down behind those cabinets.

My outside TV is also under that vent. Have you checked the rubber seals on that door? It looks like there might be a path to those cabinets if water got in there, although I don't think it's real likely.

Kev

By the way, you can inspect the upper slide seal (sort of) by standing on a ladder at one end of the slide (when the slide is open) and use a flashlight to look under the slide topper at the seal. You can inspect it from the inside by bringing the slide in about half way, then stand on something by the passenger seat and look over the top of the slide.

Kevin Means said:
Ray, you should have a little baffle-door just inside the microwave vent, up high on the outside of that slide. That little door opens when the microwave fan is turned on, and it's supposed to close under its own weight when the fan is off. Is there any chance it's stuck in the open position? That vent is right over those cabinets and if rain got inside, it might drain down behind those cabinets.

My outside TV is also under that vent. Have you checked the rubber seals on that door? It looks like there might be a path to those cabinets if water got in there, although I don't think it's real likely.

Kev

By the way, you can inspect the upper slide seal (sort of) by standing on a ladder at one end of the slide (when the slide is open) and use a flashlight to look under the slide topper at the seal. You can inspect it from the inside by bringing the slide in about half way, then stand on something by the passenger seat and look over the top of the slide.

Kev,
My vent is closed on the microwave we don't cook inside we use an outside stove. I haven't checked the outside TV but will this morning. That's a good ideal on inspecting the seal I will try that. Do you think it could be plumbing? Thanks

If there were a plumbing leak behind the dishwasher, or from any of the hoses under/behind the kitchen sink, I would think you'd be able to see it by crawling around under there with a flashlight. You may have already done this, but you might try disconnecting from city water and running off your water pump to see if it runs on its own intermittently. If there's a pressure-side water leak, you'll know it pretty quickly.

Since you said this happens after it rains, my guess is that rain is pooling on top of the slide, under the slide topper (which isn't unusual) and then somehow finding its way inside. I will often get water pooling on top of the slide, under the slide topper, after I've washed the RV. If I bring the slide in before it has had time to evaporate, water will run down the outer wall of the slide, which is now inside the RV -  then it runs onto the floor. The only way I've found to prevent it is to tilt the RV slightly with the jacks before bringing the slides in.

Kev

Kev,
Yes I have run on my pump only while traveling and if staying only one night and move on and the pump turns off like it should and doesn't come back on unless you use water. The statement about tilting the RV front to back with the jacks, does that cause problems for bringing in the slide? I am guessing I wouldn't need to do it very much. We are in Savannah for 10 days and we are getting some big rain. It has rained off and on all day today. I will check my slide before I leave here. Thanks

Raylc said:
The statement about tilting the RV front to back with the jacks, does that cause problems for bringing in the slide? I am guessing I wouldn't need to do it very much. We are in Savannah for 10 days and we are getting some big rain. It has rained off and on all day today. I will check my slide before I leave here. Thanks
I rarely ever need to do the "tilt" thing because of rain (because it rarely rains much here) but when I do it after washing the RV, I get a fair amount of run-off from all the awnings and toppers. Before bringing the slides in, I always re-level the coach. Since the water is coming in near the rear of your kitchen slide, you might try lowering the front and/or raising the rear - just not so high as to get the rear wheels off the ground.

Kev

We had the same problem with our 2005 Suncruiser but on the closet slide. Our problem was that caulking that was applied to the lower corners of the slide seals had broken off and there was a gap allowing water to get in. Compare corners of other slides to see if they have caulking or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom