Crazy leak at base of toilet (with macerator) when shower is used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP

We have a crazy leak with our mh toilet with macerator in full bath area where our shower is. We noticed what appears to be fresh water (we hope) coming from right along the toilet rim. Sometimes on back left and other times back right. No repair shop could recreate the leak. So I connected to city water, flushed toilet and refilled about 8 times and no leak. So I went to the shower and turned water on but not out of the shower head. I then turned on shower head a few times for about 30 to 60 seconds each. When I looked back to toilet water was coming from the near back left side of the toilet base, close to where the bolts are holding down toilet.  Prior to testing I had set slides of toilet paper and paper towels along the toilet and around connecting points in the back of the toilet and numbered each to see where a leak might come from. Nothing showed around flex hoses or connections in back of toilet yet water leaked at base. am guessing from the bolts holding the toilet down. Anyone hear of something similar happening or am I just the lucky one. Thank you for your thoughts. We have a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE 3709 with a bath and a half.

With a coach that new, is it covered under warranty? Also, the make and model of the toilet will help us help you.

Hi kid goat,
is covered under warranty as the coach was purchased in March. It is a Dometic master flush 8700 series toilet with macerator I believe it is model 8740.

Maybe flush some food dye down that shower drain and see if that's the water coming out by the toilet? Not sure why it would, since the shower presumably drains to the gray tank rather than black.  But maybe that is something to test as well. Or call Newmar and ask if that is a possibility. It may be that for the convenience of the factory they plumbed the rear shower to the same drain line that the macerator uses (black tank, hopefully?). Newmar should have plumbing and electrical schematics you can request and they are something you should have regardless of this problem.

Thanks Gary I will test with test as you suggest and I will contact Newmar fo schematics.

Turns out leak is coming from two additional holes in the base of the toilet (one on each side). They are about 4 inches further back from bolt holes. I found it by recreating leak by flushing and running shower. Then removed bolts and as I started to lift toilet and tilted it back fresh water rushed out of these additional holes. I contacted Dometic and the they have been great. They are sending me a replacement on Monday. Both Newmar and Dometic have been very good. I think this was a hard one for service to recreate but after 6 weeks in two different places, it was best to do it myself. I hope this helps anyone else experiencing something similar.

Glad to hear that you found source of leak. However, I would still question why when you run the shower, you get fresh water leaking out of those 2 holes that are on the toilet. Seems like you still may have a problem. You've got 2 seperate fixtures which shouldn't, normally, be connected such that water from one can "travel" to the other. Perhaps, if they feed from the same fresh water line, the force of turning the water on and off in the shower (water hammer?) is causing a pressure surge in the toilet plumbing that is forcing water past the toilet's water shutoff valve (defective seals?) which eventually leaks out of those 2 holes?  If this is happening, then, hopefully, the new toilet will not leak since it will be all new, including the valve. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom