Storing, Plug in or?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

We store our trailer with access to power so we have that option.  I was wondering seeing what is the  best way to store the trailer between outings in the Summer (during he winter I remove the battery and keep in a heated shop with a smart charger hooked up.) I was thinking in terms durability of the Inverter and battery.
No power to the trailer.
Keep the trailer plugged in.
Install a battery shut off switch, and hook up the Smart Charger to the battery.

Thanks for the help!

If the charger in the RV is a good (aka "smart") one, I'd leave it plugged in. But small-mid size trailers, especially the lower priced brands, often do not have a quality 3-stage charger. In that case I would disconnect (battery switch or remove ground cable) and use an external smart battery maintainer. Avoid letting the battery just sit and self-discharge.

How would you tell if the converter is a smart three way unit?  The trailer is a 2011 Jayfeather Select 242.  Most of the components seem to be good quality so I hope the converter is as well.

The converter should be marked with make/model, if you can remove whatever access panel is covering it and take a look.  Then you can research its features and charging capabilities.

His converter/charger may be part of an integrated power center that combines AC and DC systems. In that case, the brand of the power center is also the brand of the charger.

Back
Top Bottom