FORD TRITON V-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trx680

I see most of the Class C are on a Ford chassis and have the V10.

For those of you who have the V10 how do you like it?  Reliable?  Any problems?

Whats your input?

possible one of the most reliable, no problem engines ever made.  good for 150k miles as an RV engine.

80% of all gas powered motorhomes use the V10.. expect 8-9 mpg.  the newer V10s have more power and a better transmission.

I have owned 3 different MHs with the V10 (97, 01, 04). The only issue I have had is with the right rear exhaust manifold bolt heads breaking off when exposed to time in service.

do they use FORD transmissions?

I see a lot of the MH that have the Chevy 8.1 use the Allison transmission

I have one and love it.  I've heard it described as bullet proof.  Perform scheduled maintenance and it's like the Energizer Bunny - it just keeps on going.

I've always been a Chevy guy, but our previous motorhome (a '99 Allegro) was on a Ford chassis with a V-10. That engine never gave us a single problem in the nealy 13 years we had that RV. It was an outstanding engine with plenty of power, and newer versions are even more powerful. I've got nothing but good to say about them.

Kev 

do they use FORD transmissions?
The Ford v10 is coupled to a Ford transmission, 4, 5, or 6 speeds depending on the year.

The GM 8.1L V8 is usually coupled to the Allison 1000 in pick-ups or Workhorse motorhome chassis, but in the van chassis used for Class C's I suppose it could be one of the car trannys.

The "bullet-proof" Allisons are the big boy models like the 3000 and 4000 series. Over-designed and over-built to run forever. The smaller 1000/2000 series is a solid performer, but not quite bulletproof.

Actually, modern auto trannys are extremely reliable and very forgiving, so we could probably call any of them near bullet-proof.

I have a 2008 Triton V-10 with 112,000 miles, and I am amazed at how smooth it runs. When in park, I can barely hear it with the hood up and I am standing close by. Once on the highway, unless I step on the gas really hard, I can barely hear the engine. It just purrs and is smooth as silk at all speeds. It is probably the best engine I have ever had.

have another question about the Ford V-10 - we want to tow our Silverado 1500, 4 x 4, would it handle this type of towing? Thank you

the V8 Ford pickups at about 10 years or-so-ago had issues with not being able to remove the spark plugs. These V10 have that issue?

that issue was created by ham-fisted mechanics that do not use anti-seize on sparkplugs in aluminum heads.

pdwags said:
have another question about the Ford V-10 - we want to tow our Silverado 1500, 4 x 4, would it handle this type of towing? Thank you
I have not seen a gas motohome which is rated to tow more than 5000 pounds.  Most large diesel pushers will tow 10,000.  There are some diesel pushers with a smaller engine which are not rated to tow 10,000 pounds.

Go online and find the brochure for the motorhome you are looking at or check the sticker in the RV to see the tow rating, as well as the GVWR and GCWR.

maybe on a gas class C E350/450 chassis,  but not the gas class A F53 chassis.

There is a guy that comes into my RV park here in southern Cal. He drives an early 2000's V10 gas powered Fleetwood class A motorhome, towing a double axle car trailer,  with a full size Chevy pickup on it,  that has a nice 4x4 quad in the bed of the truck.

he comes here every year from Texas to visit relatives the last 3 years.

So it may not be rated for more than 5k,  but it can do it,  I've scene it done before.

(note* old ranch owner that welded up his own Pendelton hitch set-up,  and did a nice job. )

pdwags said:

Lookup the tow rating of the coach you're interested in. Its ratings will be online at the mfr's website.

Also, you should consider your braking method; are you going to use an in-cab assist on the truck or load it on a lightweight trailer? I worry more about stopping the load than pulling it. In that case, something lighter would be advantageous, especially in the mountains.

My Four Winds 24F on an E-350 chassis is rated at 8000lbs towing.

AStravelers said:
I have not seen a gas motohome which is rated to tow more than 5000 pounds.  Most large diesel pushers will tow 10,000.  There are some diesel pushers with a smaller engine which are not rated to tow 10,000 pounds.

Go online and find the brochure for the motorhome you are looking at or check the sticker in the RV to see the tow rating, as well as the GVWR and GCWR.

My 2016 class C on an F-450 chassis is rated at 7500# towing, not just the hitch, but the chassis also. 14,500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR.

TonyDtorch said:
maybe on a gas class C E350/450 chassis,  but not the gas class A F53 chassis.

There is a guy that comes into my RV park here in southern Cal. He drives an early 2000's V10 gas powered Fleetwood class A motorhome, towing a double axle car trailer,  with a full size Chevy pickup on it,  that has a nice 4x4 quad in the bed of the truck.

he comes here every year from Texas to visit relatives the last 3 years.

So it may not be rated for more than 5k,  but it can do it,  I've scene it done before.

(note* old ranch owner that welded up his own Pendelton hitch set-up,  and did a nice job. )

When I go to the race track it amazes me how many of these guys are using gas powered class A to pull their car trailers. Some of the trailers are nearly as long as the MH.  I'm certainly not endorsing this practice, just noting it is done with some regularity

kdbgoat said:
My 2016 class C on an F-450 chassis is rated at 7500# towing, not just the hitch, but the chassis also. 14,500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR.
I stand corrected.  Apparently in 2016 Chassis model years and later (not the Motorhome manufacturer model years) the "E"450 now has the 6 speed transmission instead of the 5 speed transmission which has been standard for around 15 years.  The GCWR is now 22,000 pounds, as stated by kdbgoat.

However IF you have an "E"450 with a 5 speed transmission your towing capacity is less than the 7500 pounds, probably 5000 pounds, but I did not try to verify the towing capacity.  Most likely there are quite a few 2016 motorhome model year RV's built on the 2015 model year chassis, which I believe still have the 5 speed transmission and the lower towing capacity.

BTW, kdbgoat you most likely have a "E"450, not a "F"450 chassis. 

AStravelers said:
I stand corrected.  Apparently in 2016 Chassis model years and later (not the Motorhome manufacturer model years) the "E"450 now has the 6 speed transmission instead of the 5 speed transmission which has been standard for around 15 years.  The GCWR is now 22,000 pounds, as stated by kdbgoat.

However IF you have an "E"450 with a 5 speed transmission your towing capacity is less than the 7500 pounds, probably 5000 pounds, but I did not try to verify the towing capacity.  Most likely there are quite a few 2016 motorhome model year RV's built on the 2015 model year chassis, which I believe still have the 5 speed transmission and the lower towing capacity.

BTW, kdbgoat you most likely have a "E"450, not a "F"450 chassis. 

Yep, E-450, not F :-[

but, I do have the 5 speed, and my tow capacity is 7500#. I had it and the GCWR verified by Ford, as I don't trust RV salesmen that much on technical matters.

I have a 2017 Thor 32 foot Class A with the Ford V10 and it is rated to tow 8000 lbs. It has the 6 speed transmission with a tow/haul button and is smarter than I am. My CRV is right around 6500 lbs and it has no problem towing that. Just FYI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom